White Leghorn Roo crossed with RIR Hen - Is the chick male or female?

Just_Clucky84

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Boston, MA
I have a chick that hatched on March 24th and appears to be a cross between my white leghorn rooster and one of my RIR hens. The chick hatched all yellow and is now developing red tinting/patches. I'm really hoping its a pullet. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

By my calculations that makes it 3 weeks old this Saturday - if it's got WL in it, by 4 weeks old you should be able to tell pullet versus rooster by comb size and color. But I don't know about how the RIR messes with that growth as I don't have experience with that breed.

Here is my WL pullet at 4 weeks old.

Here is one of my WL roos at 4 weeks.

Here is a group shot of the 4 roosters and 1 pullet. The roos are facing towards the camera, the pullet facing towards the feeder.

I have a chick that hatched on March 24th and appears to be a cross between my white leghorn rooster and one of my RIR hens. The chick hatched all yellow and is now developing red tinting/patches. I'm really hoping its a pullet. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I would say it's a pullet. It has some comb coming in, but it looks pretty yellow, and that's normal if it has white leghorn blood. I remember my white leghorn hen had a pretty big comb as a chick too. Can you get any pictures of her comb directly on?

Back
Top Bottom