White marans

This boy was a happy surprise! We purchased Black Copper Maran eggs. All the rest were the expected colour. We contaced the breeder and found out that his BCMs do, rarely, have a pure white chick. This photo was taken when he was just 4 months old. He is very big now and has lovely conformation. Wish I had a white French Maran pullet to breed him too! Is the white recessive? What if I breed him to a black hatch mate? What about to a blue or splash?

This boy was a happy surprise! We purchased Black Copper Maran eggs. All the rest were the expected colour. We contaced the breeder and found out that his BCMs do, rarely, have a pure white chick. This photo was taken when he was just 4 months old. He is very big now and has lovely conformation. Wish I had a white French Maran pullet to breed him too! Is the white recessive? What if I breed him to a black hatch mate? What about to a blue or splash?
An answer to an old post...this is recessive white. If he is bred to a recessive white carrier you have a 50% chance of white chicks.

Put black copper Marans eggs in the incubator and out of 10 shipped eggs these 2 hatched. What is this white chick - he is twice the size of the normal black Marans that hatched in this batch. The eggs looked exactly alike - is this a mutant?

Put black copper Marans eggs in the incubator and out of 10 shipped eggs these 2 hatched. What is this white chick - he is twice the size of the normal black Marans that hatched in this batch. The eggs looked exactly alike - is this a mutant?
Couple of options here, recessive white or mixed up eggs. I am suspicious because of the gray feather showing on the wing and at the base of that one tailfeather, which means that chick could be a splash from blue copper breeding. My recessive white chicks looked wheaten at hatch and feathered in snow white.

This is the same white bird at hatch and 6 weeks. She's getting ready to lay, can't wait to see egg color!
Edit for update at 3.5 months:

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I guess this will be a wait and see chick! This is a first for me out of all the BCMs that I have hatched. Everyone needs a little mystery hatch now and then - it adds excitement to the chicken coop.

I hatched out a barnyard mix of eggs and most hatched out looking like black marans except one. A cute little yellow chick with black spots and clean legs. Could this be a white maran?

I hatched out a barnyard mix of eggs and most hatched out looking like black marans except one. A cute little yellow chick with black spots and clean legs. Could this be a white maran?

No shank/toe feathering, spots...not a white Marans. I had some that looked like that, Marans crossed with golden buff sexlinks. Do you have any of those type of hens?

Back
Top Bottom