white orpingtons...

Quote:
they don't turn fully yellow, just some of the plumage. my dels have some yellow in the feathers from this very thing. i was told that is the cause. it may be right or wrong as i am not an expert on the effects myself.

Some food can make their feathers a creamish colour! So I've discovered. We were using some very strange orange coloured chick crumb....we currently have yellow/cream coloured cornish Hybrids.
tongue.png

However birds which are buff or gold under recessive white can also have a creamy yellowish look due to the colours under the white, also sun damage can cause yellowing.

Delawares are genetically silver birds & yellowing on these can be also be caused by the presence of some of sex gold (in males) or autosomal red.

Sandhill preservation has them but you can only get 5 at a time and then need to order enough of something else to fill a box. If you find a good source of white orpington hatching eggs let me know please...Please...PLEASE.

Krys I would interested in the genetics to create the whites if you have time to explain.
I have a young splash Orp who hasn't splashed and he has white legs. His type is fabulous but i can't use him for the blues and blacks. He is the only one out of about 25 splash hatched that has white legs.

I agree with Krys, they are not hard to make. I think some of the inconsistencies folks are seeing is due to the wrong matchups producing wrong pigmentation on the shanks. Work with white skinned birds instead of black and you should get there fairly easy.

As Jody said recessive whites are not difficult to make. It is not really white skin which is the biggest issue. All Orpingtons, including blacks, ought to have white skin; the alternative being yellow skin. Sometimes problems tend to arise from lack of genes to inhibit melanin in the epidermis & dermis
Easiest white to make is on birds which are neither extended black nor birchen. However gold under the white is said to contribute to yellowing & using a silver bird makes a nicer, cleaner, whiter white.

The trouble Dawn is finding is that people have bred black based recessive whites to non black based recessive whites. Making a recessive white bird on black can give a nice clean white, without the yellowing, but other genes are necessary to keep the pigment from the shanks....These genes are not necessary & therefore not usually present in non black based birds. When one crosses the two types of white birds, the genes preventing the pigment from the shanks can be lost.

From what I've seen nicer brighter, whites are made on extended black with sex linked barring, silver & inhibitor of dermal melanin.
wink.png

Oh well, I have none with the silver. I do admire the whites in Germany and some of those countries. I really am probably just going to stick with my basic colors and the Mottled project. It is rather challenging and as Dawn says takes room.
If I get one more chicken I don't know where I will stick it. Ha ha.

they sell the most weird chick starter in the local farmer's co-op. It's orange. I'd been making recessive white Marans....when I first saw the colour of their feathers I thought I'd got some exciting mutation......
wee.gif

Then I saw the feathers of the cornish meat birds.
lau.gif

I'd never seen anything like it before.

Back
Top Bottom