White spots and smell in throat of sick hen

ivfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
I have a very sick hen and my research and vet back and forth hasn't helped with what to do.

An older hen started to sleep a lot about a week-14d ago. Truthfully, because of her age, I thought it maybe was her time. Picked her up, looked at her, didn't see anything obvious. Does seem to be eating and drinking from what I can tell. Doesn't appear to have lost weight. Crop is not full.

I've been looking at her and picking her up every few days to see how her weight felt. Yesterday, I noticed an odor and sticky stuff on her mouth. Smelled her and it smells bad, but not awful.

Opened her mouth today, and she has little white spots on the top of her mouth and a wad of white gunk in her throat. It looks like the worst sore throat ever.

I can tell she's miserable, but I can't figure out what to do. Swab it and determine what sort of bacteria is getting her? Could it be fungal? I'm
20170528_181155.jpg
willing to take her to the vet if needed. My primary isn't really avian though.

I have a very sick hen and my research and vet back and forth hasn't helped with what to do.

An older hen started to sleep a lot about a week-14d ago. Truthfully, because of her age, I thought it maybe was her time. Picked her up, looked at her, didn't see anything obvious. Does seem to be eating and drinking from what I can tell. Doesn't appear to have lost weight. Crop is not full.

I've been looking at her and picking her up every few days to see how her weight felt. Yesterday, I noticed an odor and sticky stuff on her mouth. Smelled her and it smells bad, but not awful.

Opened her mouth today, and she has little white spots on the top of her mouth and a wad of white gunk in her throat. It looks like the worst sore throat ever.

I can tell she's miserable, but I can't figure out what to do. Swab it and determine what sort of bacteria is getting her? Could it be fungal? I'm View attachment 1021615 willing to take her to the vet if needed. My primary isn't really avian though.
I also noticed yesterday that her breathing is labored and raspy

I've been treating her with metronidazole since Tuesday, but it doesn't seem to be working. She's lost a significant amount of weight and I'm worried she's going to die because she's not eating. I've been giving her 6-9cc of Pedialite 3x/day just to get something in her.

Symptoms are still the white, goo-like mass in the back of her throat, slimy discharge around her mouth and a slight rotten smell. The white spot now has a tiny hole in it, which is where I assume she is breathing. I don't see any other wounds.

Is there any other way to get calories in her while we try to deal with this?

Thanks!

I've been treating her with metronidazole since Tuesday, but it doesn't seem to be working. She's lost a significant amount of weight and I'm worried she's going to die because she's not eating. I've been giving her 6-9cc of Pedialite 3x/day just to get something in her.

Symptoms are still the white, goo-like mass in the back of her throat, slimy discharge around her mouth and a slight rotten smell. The white spot now has a tiny hole in it, which is where I assume she is breathing. I don't see any other wounds.

Is there any other way to get calories in her while we try to deal with this?

Thanks!
Hi there,
I had a chicken with similar symptoms back in January who unfortunately passed away. I now have another hen with almost the same symptoms, but I think I've caught it earlier. She still has an appetite but struggles to swallow the food. She also has the slimy discharge and white-ish/yellow-ish mass in her throat. I was wondering if you figured anything out with your chicken? I would really appreciate any help you have to offer.
Thank you!

Hi there,
If she has a bad odor to her, the first thing that comes to mind is infectious coryza. Unfortunately, I have not dealt with this myself to give you guidance. I believe it is bacterial and is treated with antibiotics. Can you look into that and see if you feel it is a match?

Hi there,
I had a chicken with similar symptoms back in January who unfortunately passed away. I now have another hen with almost the same symptoms, but I think I've caught it earlier. She still has an appetite but struggles to swallow the food. She also has the slimy discharge and white-ish/yellow-ish mass in her throat. I was wondering if you figured anything out with your chicken? I would really appreciate any help you have to offer.
Thank you!

It's Thrush (yeast Infection) the treatment is Clotrimzole 1% mouth gel of any candida based oral gels

Back
Top Bottom