Who do we have here?

WesterBee

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Central Oregon
Hey Chicken Friends! :frow
I’m trying to figure out who’s who with my two gray pullets. My friend got these littles for me from our local farm store and I told her to just get me a variety she thought would be good for a first time chicken mama as she has owned many a flock in our climate and I trust her experience. I know I have one Light Brahma and a ColorPack Blue and then I’m pretty certain the black one is a Dominant Copper, it’s these two gray colored ones that have me wondering. My friend said she thought one was a Blue Andalusian and one an Easter Egger but also that the woman may have grabbed the wrong chick from the brooder. Any ideas on who these kids are would be greatly appreciated as I look into what to expect from everyone as they grow up!

Attachments

• 3BC4D496-D7E5-4D5E-92D4-62E00D53A1C2.jpeg
    3BC4D496-D7E5-4D5E-92D4-62E00D53A1C2.jpeg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 88
  • D48E45F3-156F-4A3D-AEA8-FFC3E9D82329.jpeg
    D48E45F3-156F-4A3D-AEA8-FFC3E9D82329.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • BAAEEA30-07D0-4F01-A317-78AA91BC2FE0.jpeg
    BAAEEA30-07D0-4F01-A317-78AA91BC2FE0.jpeg
    887.7 KB · Views: 21
  • FB85C225-EA93-43FF-A1DB-9DB179E134B3.jpeg
    FB85C225-EA93-43FF-A1DB-9DB179E134B3.jpeg
    990.9 KB · Views: 19
  • B88F44C9-5911-4A27-A66D-BD8ED2573778.jpeg
    B88F44C9-5911-4A27-A66D-BD8ED2573778.jpeg
    857.9 KB · Views: 23
Hey Chicken Friends! :frow
I’m trying to figure out who’s who with my two gray pullets. My friend got these littles for me from our local farm store and I told her to just get me a variety she thought would be good for a first time chicken mama as she has owned many a flock in our climate and I trust her experience. I know I have one Light Brahma and a ColorPack Blue and then I’m pretty certain the black one is a Dominant Copper, it’s these two gray colored ones that have me wondering. My friend said she thought one was a Blue Andalusian and one an Easter Egger but also that the woman may have grabbed the wrong chick from the brooder. Any ideas on who these kids are would be greatly appreciated as I look into what to expect from everyone as they grow up!
Maybe Sapphire Gems?

Now that a bit of time has passed I figured I’d post an update. The one with the lighter head seems to have the characteristics of a Blue Andalusian based on my reading and comparisons of the two however in photo searches I’m finding Sapphire Gems and Blue Andalusians are hard to differentiate to my untrained eye. Is the one on the right the potential Blue Andalusian? What a quirky one she is!

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpeg
    IMG_6072.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6075.jpeg
    IMG_6075.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6077.jpeg
    IMG_6077.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 16
Where did you get your chicks from? When I look up ColorPack Blue I end up on Coastal’s site. My guess based on their selection is Blue Australorp or Blue Sapphire Plymouth Rock (also called Sapphire Gem) for the one on the left in the last two photos. It depends on the skin color, which can be seen best on the underside of the foot, and it would be either white or yellow respectively. Andalusians have big floppy combs and white earlobes, and I’m not seeing any of that yet on her.

The one on the right seems more lavender than blue to me. I’d expect the darker neck on a blue chicken. Seems like a Lavender Orpington maybe.

@Winderdeary friend got them at Wilco for me which I believe uses Jenks hatchery in our area. I’ve been on the Wilco site to try to nail it down but this is helpful, Lavender Orpington hadn’t come up in my looking! I believe for the one on the left Blue Astralorp or Sapphire Gem is right!

Here’s some sunlight photos in hopes they help! The first two (yellow skin) is the potential Astralorp/Sapphire and the second three are the mystery chick 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_6094.jpeg
    IMG_6094.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6093.jpeg
    IMG_6093.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6099.jpeg
    IMG_6099.jpeg
    522.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6100.jpeg
    IMG_6100.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6097.jpeg
    IMG_6097.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 13
@Winderdeary friend got them at Wilco for me which I believe uses Jenks hatchery in our area. I’ve been on the Wilco site to try to nail it down but this is helpful, Lavender Orpington hadn’t come up in my looking! I believe for the one on the left Blue Astralorp or Sapphire Gem is right!

Here’s some sunlight photos in hopes they help! The first two (yellow skin) is the potential Astralorp/Sapphire and the second three are the mystery chick 🤣
I would guess based on skin color that the first is a Sapphire Gem/Blue Rock, and the second is a Lavender Orpington. Australorps have white skin so we can rule them out. Your girls are lovely btw :)

The first is a Sapphire Jem and the second a Blue Andalusian.

@Winderdear aww thank you!! I am loving having these girls to pour love into after the passing of our 14yo Border Collie… love needs somewhere to go and as it turns out for me it’s been in this cute lil flock of mine♥️

@Tookie thank you! I was pretty certain this is what the combo was but was second guessing based on Blue Andalusian stock photos. It is helpful to know because the Blue Andalusian is the biggest pain that I’m bordering on dislike for her while the Jem is the sweetest, most fun gal and, while I know traits aren’t necessarily breed specific I can’t say I’d want more Andalusians at this moment 🙄🙄

@WesterBee I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Border Collie :hugs
I also feel like my chickens fill a hole in my heart. I hope your birds continue to bring you joy for many years to come! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom