Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I tried to give mine bread, they took it and looked at me and dropped it on the ground like they were saying what the hell is that? I must of sat there for almost an hour and they didn't look twice at it. I went in for a drink came back out and it was no where to be found. I have wierd chickens.... They love their watermelon but if I give them strawberries they will only eat them if I hold it, once it hits the ground they WILL NOT touch it again.

I remember when we were waiting for our first egg, my brother put a store bought egg in our coop. I went back and saw it and was so excited. Then I remembered that we had bantams and they wouldn't lay eggs this big. I was so mad at my brother until we finally got our first egg only a few weeks after!

I go out and check the coop everyday hoping to find our first egg. So far none, but hoping for one by the end of the month. Know that it will be very exciting.

Don't even know how old mine are. I should've kept a diary or something.

Here is a pic of my hens. Can anyone
tell age range by pics?

Funny. I'm new to chickens and was told "they eat anything." Sure they will... Like you if I'm holding it in my hand. Love the creatures nonetheless.

We are at 10 weeks, only halfway there (I hope)
hmm.png
wink.png

We are certainly having a blast with them in the mean time.

2 Isa Browns (1 is my roo)
5 Gold SL's
3 black SL's
3 barred rocks

So we just started our first "flock" because a friend at work had to order more chicks than he wanted. So, long story short we ended up with 2. A RIR and a black Australorp. They are now4 weeks old and I'm rushing to finish the restomod of our 12'x12' shed with electricity into a chicken coop. I already want more but the wife has put her foot down until I prove I will be cleaning out the coop on the -30*F Vermont winters. Here's to waiting......

Just a thought, look into the heavy shavings method. It's basically a thick layer of shavings and you probably won't have to really clean it out until spring. We have cold winters in NE WA too.

Just a thought, look into the heavy shavings method. It's basically a thick layer of shavings and you probably won't have to really clean it out until spring. We have cold winters in NE WA too.
I use the deep bedding method for our flock of 15 and so far it has worked out well. I go out daily and recirculate things by raking through the bedding then let the chooks dig around for the rest of the day. Once it's turned, the smell dissapates immediately. If I notice the depth of the shavings decreasing, I sprinkle about a bushel for fresh chips around.

It'd due to be removed and replaced the middle of July which would make it every three months for me.

I plan to put the chips on our compost pile and let them degrade for next years garden.

Back
Top Bottom