WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

Oops, mine don't ship until May, my past orders and the current one will ship on a Monday. I order from My Pet Chicken, which shares space with Meyers, I live in Wisconsin. I usually pay for the fancy shipping even though it doesn't seem to matter as far as time to arrive, but since I did my PO brings them to my door in their express delivery truck.

I ordered in January too. I always put some brown sugar in my water for them to give them quick energy to help recover from shipping, some will suffer from low blood sugar which makes them sluggish, there are prepackaged stuff too, so make sure you have something with some form of sugar in it to get them going.

I wish mine were coming next week but it's still too cold here, I like putting my chicks out on the lawn as soon as it's warm enough, usually the first week or two. Yours do have a longer trip, I will be sending good thoughts your way.

My babies finally came it! My husband went to the post office and got them this morning. Everyone was alive, including the extras they sent. The little splash Cochin in the first pic (with its eyes closed) is doing a bit poorly, so I've been keeping a close eye on that one and giving it water with a little honey to (hopefully) perk it up. They're so cute! And they're SUPER friendly. Every time I open the door to the brooder, they'll all come zooming over to check me out and peck at my fingers.

Congratulations, hopefully they all do okay. I see some naked necks, you are brave, I find them creepy, but they are cute as chicks, like little vultures.

Mine will ship April 6th. We decided we wanted to start smaller, so we ordered 4 Easter Eggers from My Pet Chicken. These will be our first chickens. (We were going to go out of state but we really wanted less than 6.)
I can't fall to chicken math though; I have a tiny city yard.

We are expecting 6 Welsummer chicks to be shipped on May 2 from my pet chicken. Tried hatching eggs but failed miserably. We fell in love with a Welsummer rooster that we only had for days before our dog killed it, the dog is contained now so we ordered 6 chicks straight run. Really wanting another ''Charlie' or 2.

I almost had a disaster today!
ep.gif

I got home from a bike ride and found that the heat lamp, which I had clamped on the side of the brooder box had fallen INTO the box (actually, the flap, which I thought I had securely fastened had broken free and folded in) and an entire corner of the box was burnt to char and ash! By the grace of whatever supernatural omnipotent beings there may be, none of the chicks had been killed or injured. In fact despite their adventure they all seem to be perfectly healthy. The garage was filled with a haze from the smoldering box and bedding, but fortunately (again!) nothing had caught fire! I found an old Rubbermaid tub which, although it had a couple of small holes in the bottom corners was otherwise alright. I filled it with some more bedding and transferred the chicks, their food tray and water dish into it and so far everyone is happy again.

Needless to say that is the LAST time I ever use a cardboard box for anything regarding chickens beyond bringing them home!!

I'm going to have to get a new bulb though because the trapped heat had 'burned off' all of the red fron the 'lens' of the old one.
th.gif

Last edited:
I almost had a disaster today!  :eek:

I got home from a bike ride and found that the heat lamp, which I had clamped on the side of the brooder box had fallen INTO the box (actually, the flap, which I thought I had securely fastened had broken free and folded in) and an entire corner of the box was burnt to char and ash! By the grace of whatever supernatural omnipotent beings there may be, none of the chicks had been killed or injured. In fact despite their adventure they all seem to be perfectly healthy. The garage was filled with a haze from the smoldering box and bedding, but fortunately (again!) nothing had caught fire! I found an old Rubbermaid tub which, although it had a couple of small holes in the bottom corners was otherwise alright. I filled it with some more bedding and transferred the chicks, their food tray and water dish into it and so far everyone is happy again. 

Needless to say that is the LAST time I ever use a cardboard box for anything regarding chickens beyond bringing them home!!

And I'm going to have to get a new bulb though because the trapped heat had 'burned' all of the red off of the old one.
:th
You were very lucky, glad you caught it. I always tie mine from a hook in the ceiling, I don't trust the clamp.

Back
Top Bottom