who killed them

Dan M

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2016
ive had the chicks in with adults for a couple weeks. yesterday I caught the hens chasing one of them mercilessly. first time. this morning this morning I found pieces of one inside the coop. and a whole on by the fence with just the head gone. head seemed to be missing on the one found inside as well. there heads do fit through the fence. I don't know if the adults killed the little ones or if something got them from outside and then the adults dragged it inside and ate it. the little ones are about 9-10 weeks old and had no problems in the coop for a couple weeks. if picked on they hide under the nesting boxes where they cant be reached. really bummed out!!!

the one by the fence was whole minus the head, the on inside was dismembered, couldn't find the head. the others were pecking at the remains. ive never seen a rat or evidence of rats. there is a possum and several skunks in the area . I have 4 cats but they don't usualy pay any attention to the chickens. the weird thing is yesterday the adults had one of the chicks cornered against the fence with his head sticking out and they were all (9) pecking at it. that chick is not one of the ones that died

the one by the fence was whole minus the head, the on inside was dismembered, couldn't find the head. the others were pecking at the remains. ive never seen a rat or evidence of rats. there is a possum and several skunks in the area . I have 4 cats but they don't usualy pay any attention to the chickens. the weird thing is yesterday the adults had one of the chicks cornered against the fence with his head sticking out and they were all (9) pecking at it. that chick is not one of the ones that died

Missing head could also indicate a possum.

is it normal for the rest to peck at and eat the carcass even if they didn't kill it ? will this promote cannibalism in the future ? I think I will eliminate the possum first chance I get. smaller net fencing ?

I found a little evidence right by the fence , a turd that looked like ground up crickets or something. I thought it was to big to be a skunk , then I caught a skunk gnawing on one of the carcasses on the compost pile, wasn't sure about him so I eliminated him. the 22 cal air rifle works well for all the animals listed as well.

I found a little evidence right by the fence , a turd that looked like ground up crickets or something. I thought it was to big to be a skunk , then I caught a skunk gnawing on one of the carcasses on the compost pile, wasn't sure about him so I eliminated him. the 22 cal air rifle works well for all the animals listed as well.

The .22 caliber airifle is a great choice, and it is quiet. Will not disturb neighbors.

I would say this might be a weasel, they often just eat the heads or dismember the chickens and leave them. If a chicken gets hurt enough to bleed the other chickens WILL peck at it no matter what originally caused the injury. I don't think a skunk would be the culprit, they eat eggs and already dead birds but I haven't ever seen a skunk kill a bird.

Back
Top Bottom