Who's setting with me Sept 1st-4th?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
My eggs are arriving today from the mail, I just received a call telling me I need to be home when they arrive. Yay!

I'm doing another set of pure bred Ameraucana's. My last set hatched 3 days ago and I hatched 9 out of 12 that lived(2 pipped upside down and died). My incubator has been calibrated for the last two days. I gave it a day of rest after disinfecting it well.

Who else is setting with me? Anyone?

I will! If I can figure this out lol It will be my first hatch ever so I'm a little nervous about accidentally frying my eggs or doing something wrong. I bought/set up my incubator (Hovabator 1602n) last night and I played with it to get the temp right. I woke up to a temp of 102 and humidity at 35% so I turned the temp down and added water. it's been holding at 100 degrees and 40% humidity (not sure if its imperative the temp be right at 101 or not?) .

I was thinking of doing the "dry Method" of hatching for my first time to see if I like it. I'm setting eggs from my girls, my roos are rescued mutt chickens so it will be interesting what the chicks will look like!. I think I will be setting 12 eggs this first time.

I'm not sure how long I am supposed to wait after setting the incubator up before I add eggs but I'm getting more and more excited every time I go to check the temp and humidity. But if all goes well I was thinking of setting tonight or possibly tomorrow....

Mine has a fan and I keep my temp at 99.5. I have a farmers innovators 4200 and I had a very successful hatch a few days ago. It was my very first time hatching.

I kept the humidity around 45-50% day 1-18 and tried 60% at lockdown. Once the eggs pipped the humidity spiked all the way to 70-80%. My chicks were pretty small though. I did a staggered hatch with 2 sets 5 days apart and it went great.

I can't wait until my eggs come today. Hatching shipped eggs is very hard on them. Hopefully I'll have good luck! I'm trying for show chickens! :)

I love mixes too. They are fabulous layers!

I'll be setting eggs tonight or tomorrow. I would be glad to hatch a long with some folks.

12+ BBS Orp
12 BBS Cochin
12 Buff Orp
7 Cream Legbar
9 Tolbunt Polish

Already have 16 Silkie eggs in another on day 7.

I will! If I can figure this out lol It will be my first hatch ever so I'm a little nervous about accidentally frying my eggs or doing something wrong. I bought/set up my incubator (Hovabator 1602n) last night and I played with it to get the temp right. I woke up to a temp of 102 and humidity at 35% so I turned the temp down and added water. it's been holding at 100 degrees and 40% humidity (not sure if its imperative the temp be right at 101 or not?) .

I was thinking of doing the "dry Method" of hatching for my first time to see if I like it. I'm setting eggs from my girls, my roos are rescued mutt chickens so it will be interesting what the chicks will look like!. I think I will be setting 12 eggs this first time.

I'm not sure how long I am supposed to wait after setting the incubator up before I add eggs but I'm getting more and more excited every time I go to check the temp and humidity. But if all goes well I was thinking of setting tonight or possibly tomorrow....

Most people recommend 6-8 hours of stability before setting eggs. I generally just wait an hour after I've had it off or after I've switched rooms, because I know my main incubator very well. On my new one, an LG clone by a company called FI, I'm still fiddling with it trying to get it right. I'll probably make sure it's stable for 3-4 hours before I set anything in it.

Humidity wise, on days 1-17, I just keep an eye on air cells to determine humidity I can't do a "dry hatch" in my house, because it's typically really dry air in the room I put the incubators. I was looking at only 15% humidity in that room when I set my eggs. I run a window A/C unit in there and that specific one takes A LOT of the moisture out of the air. If you go to the living room without a window A/C unit, the Humidity in there typically ranges from 70% - 90%. Needless to say, I can't really put the incubators in there.

A couple of months ago, we had three or four weeks worth of 95+ degree weather. I had a duck hatch a clutch of eggs by only sitting on them at night. :)

Eggs are in the bator! Yay!

I'm so glad y'all are joining me! I can't wait for candling in 5-7 days!

I just got the incubator, no turner and no fan. My temp was staying at a nice 100 degrees and Humidity at 43% with water so I set my very first eggs (1 dozen). While setting the temp went down a little (hope that wont hurt) but is doing back up.

I too can't wait to candle to see if my eggs prosper, fingers crossed everyone's eggs do well!!

Oh and thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it (and sorry I sorta hijacked the tread for some info lol)!

Last edited:
I just got the incubator, no turner and no fan. My temp was staying at a nice 100 degrees and Humidity at 43% with water so I set my very first eggs (1 dozen). While setting the temp went down a little (hope that wont hurt) but is doing back up.

I too can't wait to candle to see if my eggs prosper, fingers crossed everyone's eggs do well!!

Oh and thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it (and sorry I sorta hijacked the tread for some info lol)!
You didn't hijack the thread.lol One thing I really like is I bought a plastic liner for the bottom of my incubator. I had to buy a little giant and cut it to size due to not one available to the model I have. It really helped with the clean up after hatching!

I'll be setting eggs tonight or tomorrow. I would be glad to hatch a long with some folks.

12+ BBS Orp
12 BBS Cochin
12 Buff Orp
7 Cream Legbar
9 Tolbunt Polish

Already have 16 Silkie eggs in another on day 7.
I hope you have a great hatch! I hope to see pics of the babies too!

Back
Top Bottom