Why are duck eggs making my husband sick?

LGM

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2020
Southeast Michigan
I am new to raising ducks, although we raised chickens when I was a kid and we currently have 7. We bought 3 Cayuga ducklings along with the 7 chickens in April. They came from a large local breeder, although not so large as to be national or to mail chicks out. I have no knowledge or expectation that the birds got any vaccinations. They are healthy and happy ducks, free ranging during the day and safely tucked into their 4 x 4 coop at night.

The problem is that my husband had heard so much about how great ducks eggs taste and he made himself a 4 duck egg omelet from them. We kept the eggs unwashed during the week until we washed them with a very mild bleach solution since they were dirty and we didn't want to take any chances. He cooked them thoroughly since we have heard all of the warnings about Salmonella. He didn't feel so well after that first omelet,but wasn't sure what to attribute it to.

About a week and a half to 2 weeks later he ate another duck egg omelet. Again, he says it was cooked thoroughly, but this time he got a VERY upset stomach. The next day he didn't eat much of anything. On day 3 he had lots of cramping and then rushing to the bathroom, but no vomiting. So now we have ducks laying 3 eggs a day and no one will eat them because we are afraid that there is something wrong with the eggs. I can't understand how that could be since we use the same process with our chicken eggs and we have zero problems and we have eaten dozens of them. And I thought cooking the eggs thoroughly would kill any Salmonella or other diseases, if they even had it. The chickens and ducks have their own separate coops, but they free range in the same 2.5 acre yard during the day.

Any ideas of what is going on? I hate to throw all of the eggs away, but I don't want to make any one else sick. Is it possible that he has a sensitivity to duck eggs but not chicken eggs? Or do we just have bad eggs?

He could be allergic to something specific to duck eggs. Maybe have him ask his doctor for an allergy panel or an allergy test?

Are you refrigerating them? Are they out in the heat? Eggs can spoil pretty quick if they're too warm or hot.

So sorry for you guys! I hope you can figure this out. Duck eggs really are delicious, I promise!

He could be allergic to something specific to duck eggs. Maybe have him ask his doctor for an allergy panel or an allergy test?

Are you refrigerating them? Are they out in the heat? Eggs can spoil pretty quick if they're too warm or hot.

So sorry for you guys! I hope you can figure this out. Duck eggs really are delicious, I promise!
They sat on the counter until we washed them, just like the chicken eggs, but definitely not in any heat. It's fall here in Michigan. Can you not keep them on the counter if unwashed like chicken eggs? After we washed them we dried them and put them straight in the fridge.

Duck eggs do not need to be refrigerated if you are eating them only a few days after they are laid. I believe they may even last longer than chicken eggs. I believe Duck eggs have a higher fat content that is not always easy on the stomach. It also could be an allergy or intolerance that is specific to duck eggs. Did you or anyone else try the eggs? I think it is unlikely that the eggs are bad for all people.

My dad can’t eat duck eggs.
I’ve never had them but hope they don’t bother me - I am looking forward to when my girls reach laying age!

If not, that’s okay. I got the ducks as pets and pest control primarily.
I get sick if I eat more than 2 chicken eggs every few days and here I am with 10 chickens and 3 dozen eggs a week :oops: Pets that lay food are weird. At least my local homeless shelter loves me :woot

Duck eggs are much richer then regular chicken eggs and some people have a hard time stomaching not only the fat, but the type of protein. Duck eggs make me vomit (literally) and I end up with very bad stomach pain that lasts 5-6 hours. Chicken eggs for the longest time gave me stomach pains for 2-3 hours, but not as bad as duck. I did an elimination/anti-inflammatory diet for over a year and slowly introduced chicken eggs. I for whatever reason can only stomach free range chicken eggs. I tried eating a chicken egg for breakfast at a diner that wasn't free range and it hurt my stomach, but duck eggs.... are still definitely a NO go for me. The rest of my family has no problem with eggs whether they are duck or chicken🤷

Back
Top Bottom