Why are my chickens sneezing?

I have a flock of 20 hens.6 weeks ago, a bunch started sneezing (2 weeks after introducing new birds). I noticed it was catching, so I put them all on Tet...zine (sorry forget the name). I did it for 5 days, and didn't eat the eggs for 10 days. After the 10 days, there was no more sneezing and everything looked good. A week or two later, I noticed more sneezing. I isolated the birds as I noticed them sneeze, and ended up with 5 in quarantine with the same medication as before. 10 days later I put them back in the flock since they were fine again. However on that day two more from the non-quarantined ones were sneezing. Now it is a week later, and there are probably 7-8 birds sneezing.

One hen has died. Just yesterday. Got lethargic and just died 1.5 days later.

Is it possible that a bird can get the same sickness twice? Could the germ have survived the first round of anti-biotics, and is re-infecting the chickens? I was wondering if it could be an allergy, but the only thing I have changed, is adding pine mulch for flooring, and pine shavings for bedding in the nesting boxes. However, the sneezing first started before I added any pine stuff.

I have a flock of 2 roos and 5 hens, and one hen and one roo seem to have an occasional sneeze. No one else. This has been ongoing for maybe 2 wks now? No nasal discharge or runny/bubbly eyes. I have noticed a saliva inside their beaks at night a few times. I've been treating with vetRX, and ACV and garlic in their water. Anyone have an idea what's going on? Neither are lethargic, and stool/appetite/behavior is completely normal.

I two silkie hens that where sneezing, i didnt think anything of it, 2 weeks ago i baught a new hen and cockeral. They have all been together for 2 weeks now and the new ones seem fine. If it was respirity would the new ones be showing symptoms already?

I've got 24 pullets all laying normal and popping normal had 11 to start then added 13 I've been fighting this for about a month to 1 1/2 a few of them started sneezing and kind of a rasping wheeze but their behaviour is normal, cones are normal. Medicated water and vetrx at one point almost all started getting now I got maybe 6 that I'm still treating with no improvement but not getting worse and of course actting normal need help thanks

I've just noticed one of my 4 week old chicks sneezing. I just moved them into their coop (still using the Ecoglow) and am using pine shavings in there. I dont see anything else, no discharge from nose or eyes and acting fine. Should I be worried?

I've just noticed one of my 4 week old chicks sneezing. I just moved them into their coop (still using the Ecoglow) and am using pine shavings in there. I dont see anything else, no discharge from nose or eyes and acting fine. Should I be worried?
from all that I have read sneezing is noromal as Long as their is no discharge keep an I eye on it for now vetrx could help it's most likely from dust expecially this time of year

I've got 24 pullets all laying normal and popping normal had 11 to start then added 13 I've been fighting this for about a month to 1 1/2 a few of them started sneezing and kind of a rasping wheeze but their behaviour is normal, cones are normal. Medicated water and vetrx at one point almost all started getting now I got maybe 6 that I'm still treating with no improvement but not getting worse and of course actting normal need help thanks

Keep an eye if it gets worse separate the flock asap

It's not abnormal for them to sneeze. But discharge from eyes or nose could mean resp virus

Try tylan, and b12 if they're getting a cold it'll boost the up... get the injectable then you know exactly how much they're getting vs water born ones

I noticed that since input them in the garage with the warmer they are sneezing a lot more. But I think the pine shavings I am using is causing them to sneeze. I need to get different shavings. They are sneezing often but no resp symptoms and no discharge from the nose? So I'm they are fine
I have just lost on of my pekin roos. He has been sneezing, stopped eating much, drank a lot of water but was lethargic. We isolated him on the verandah and gave him lots of love but he just died one night in his sleep. Now another boy is the same and I will be taking him to the vet on Monday. But now the rest of my roos are also sneezing. So far none of the girls have been affected. The sneezing ones have all been isolated in separate pens with my two favourites in our courtyard in the sun, in our hospital house where I can keep a close eye on them. I have medicated their food with a supplement; put apple cider vinegar in their water and, just in case, have also wormed them. However, apart from the one on the verandah, the rest are eating like it's going out of style, happy and chatty, so now I'm wondering if the fact these ones are sneezing is because of the pine shavings I have recently started using in my pens. We will change that today, and see what happens. I will update this when I know any more, for others' benefit.

Back
Top Bottom