Why are people telling me we need a rooster for eggs??

There is some advantage to having a rooster on board. They do look out for the girls.

a problem I am dealing with is that if a second rooster comes into play.

When a hen gets broody she will want to set on the egg until it hatches I have had them set on an empty nest for almost 100 days and still wouldnt give it up I took a fertile egg from another hen and put it under her and in 21 days it hatched and the hen got back to normal.I didnt want to hatch any but the Cochins are horrensously broody what ended up happening is the egg hatched a rooster and he is come to age and now the Alpha rooster is not happy about it. Ive got to keep an eye out for where they are at and the young roo has his eye on one of the 4 hens including mamma.

Not likely he'll succeed but its creating disharmony at times and I dont want t brawl. the young roo is a handsome fella and lots of character and persistant. I will have to make a decision if he gets to "needy" I wont get rid of the alpha as he has been with the girls from the beginning we have 4 laying hens that get along well and the alpha steps in if a squabble seems to be developing. I would hate to have to get rid of the little guy he's pretty funny right now and its easy as we all know to get attached.

So if the girls get along well without a rooster and they are in a safe environment I would not have a rooster but I range my birds and my alpha have saved the girls numerous time just getting them to cover when a threat arises i.e. hawks He has actually attracted a hawk to him to take it off the girls I saw it all happen and couldn't believe my eyes. Hes a real hero and his girls are his girls and he will sacrifice himself for them. amazing

A rooster adds some character to the flock and you see nature really at its best, not without some "issues" but they can be dealt with. I am continuously amazed at the "community" that the rooster adds to the family atmosphere.

If your girls are not of a "Broody" nature a rooster becomes less of an issue. If you have to hatch an egg to break the broody spell then its great hes around. I tried all the "Cures" for broody and you aint going to get a cochin unbroody when she want to hatch an egg almost becomes sad because she wont leave it alone. The hatch becomes all she lives for. I carried my hens out to the yard fed them watered them let them range for I would hope for at least an hour and they would beat it back to the coop I had this happen with the 2 mature hens and they have each towed a little one actually 2 each one was a rooster "LiL Jake who is with us now.

And all you wanted to know is if your hens would lay without a rooster, and bla bla bla bla
duc.gif

Last edited:
This is all really great info. I appreciate everyone's input. When we placed the order (Meyer) I figured I'd order all girls and if a rooster pops up in there somewhere, then that's ok. So, we'll get what we get and I think have a lot of fun with it. We have do have hawks around; not sure about owls yet. A rooster would be helpful as a guard. I wonder though... is there a way to have a rooster and not have fertilized eggs? i.e. keep him in a separate coop? I honestly don't know if they're nocturnal with their hanky panky :eek: ... then keeping the roo separate at night would be an option. Poor thing would get no action...

No, they are not nocturnal with their hanky panky. When it's dark, they're all sleeping. But your rooster can't do much to protect your hens if you keep him in a separate pen, and it's alot of fuss to separate them for day and night time. Is there a reason you don't want fertilized eggs?

Haha, my rooster runs down the girls across the farm all day long!!! He stores up his energy at night to do it again the next day!! Poor girls!
hide.gif

Also ask them how did the egg factory farms hens get their eggs? After all, they don't have roos in the pens with them!

Yep like the rest of all of you, no you do not need a roo to get the hens to lay eggs! I love the idea of "chicken periods" to explain why we do not need men or roos to get us to lay eggs.

In regards to separating, I have three roosters and one cockerel to 25 hens & pullets. The girls were getting run down big time, so I started separating them out during the day, except for the alpha rooster. I let them into the coop at night when their minds are on roosting instead of mating, and grab them & put them out first thing when I open up the coop in the morning. The hens are much happier.

Also ask them how did the egg factory farms hens get their eggs? After all, they don't have roos in the pens with them!

Yep like the rest of all of you, no you do not need a roo to get the hens to lay eggs! I love the idea of "chicken periods" to explain why we do not need men or roos to get us to lay eggs.

I actually had to explain this to my doctor.. the same way. I think the problem is that they see how wild birds generally don't lay until they mate, and tend to think it must be the same with chickens since they're birds too.

I actually had to explain this to my doctor.. the same way. I think the problem is that they see how wild birds generally don't lay until they mate, and tend to think it must be the same with chickens since they're birds too.

For a second I thought you were going to say you had to explain it to your veterinarian. That is a relief.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom