Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
I have a question why my ONE hen isn't laying. It's not lice/mites. I know the signs, and have checked, and it's not that. They've been dewormed recently, so it's not worms. It's hot here, but they're in the shade, and there's plenty of water, so I doubt it's heat. This 2 year old, EE pullet stopped laying after a dog chased her into the woods. Just stopped. She wasn't injured, and has behaved normally, but we haven't gotten an egg from her in over 2 months! If she doesn't lay soon, she's going to the freezer. Why isn't she laying?

Not sure I'm posting in the right place. This is a query about egg laying. I ran out of Grower/Finisher and couldn't get a smaller bag. My neighbor's chickens are beginning to lay, and they're 18 weeks old. Big Isa Browns, I believe. She had her smaller hens with them who are the same age as mine: almost 17 weeks, and she started all of them on laying feed. So I decided to buy the laying feed even though mine haven't started yet. Is this a bad thing? My hens really look a lot more immature than hers. I believe it's because I have a lot of open land and hawks. She has quite a bit of shading with pine trees, and she doesn't get hawks. I free range about an hour a day because I sit there watching out for the hawks. She just leaves her hens out for about three hours each evening. I suspect my hens, given our land, are a lot more stressed and may even lay much later.

Bottom line -- Should I just get the bigger bag of Finisher/Grower and forget the expense? Is there a brand that might help with stress or is simply the best?

It's been hot here, about 97-100 degrees. Our Americaunas seem to either have stopped laying, or are hiding their eggs from us in the garden. We have searched the property with a fine tooth comb, but nothing. Our other four buffs and Sexlinks are laying in the coop. Today we are sitting in the back yard watching the girls to see where they go. Everyone has laid but the Americaunas. Will the heat affect laying?

Just remember, hens are not vending machines. They are living creatures that are affected by all sorts of external and internal stressors/cues. We are not at 100% capacity every single day and neither are they. /img/smilies/smile.png
This needs to be repeated

Not sure I'm posting in the right place.  This is a query about egg laying. I ran out of Grower/Finisher and couldn't get a smaller bag. My neighbor's chickens are beginning to lay, and they're 18 weeks old. Big Isa Browns, I believe. She had her smaller hens with them who are the same age as mine: almost 17 weeks, and she started all of them on laying feed.  So I decided to buy the laying feed even though mine haven't started yet.  Is this a bad thing?  My hens really look a lot more immature than hers. I believe it's because I have a lot of open land and hawks. She has quite a bit of shading with pine trees, and she doesn't get hawks. I free range about an hour a day because I sit there watching out for the hawks. She just leaves her hens out for about three hours each evening. I suspect my hens, given our land, are a lot more stressed and may even lay much later.

Bottom line -- Should I just get the bigger bag of Finisher/Grower and forget the expense? Is there a brand that might help with stress or is simply the best? 

I am not as experienced as some on these boards but I started my pullets on layer feed quite early; I don't think it makes much difference. I do supplement with protein treats like dried mealy worms and sometimes fish. Mine also free range. Isa Browns are bred to lay early. My Americana x didn't start laying regularly till she was 6 months old. There is also no question that when it is hot, my hens slow down on their laying. Don't worry; I'm sure you'll have years of lovely eggs.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering me. I also have another question. I bought a Miller plastic nesting box that has a little black stoop for entrance. Can I put it against a fence a little over two feet up? We do have one box in our rabbit hutch where the hens go into at night. We will move them to a shed probably October. My husband thinks they need to be inside the hutch to hatch eggs. Is it enough against the fence which is outside the hutch. All the area is protected by chicken wire and deer stuff on top to protect against hawks. And they see the whole space as safe.

Thanks for answering me. I also have another question. I bought a Miller plastic nesting box that has a little black stoop for entrance. Can I put it against a fence a little over two feet up?  We do have one box in our rabbit hutch where the hens go into at night.  We will move them to a shed probably October.  My husband thinks they need to be inside the hutch to hatch eggs. Is it enough against the fence which is outside the hutch. All the area is protected by chicken wire and deer stuff on top to protect against hawks. And they see the whole space as safe.

I will place that nest to an area where you want them to lay all the time. Chickens are creatures of habit and its best to have it in a permanent protected area (safe from elements rain/cold/heat) so they can use it now then they will feel secure to use it to hatch their young and maybe put lower if your planning to hatch eggs.

I am impatiently waiting for my first egg. I have barred rocks, australorps, a silkie, an oeg,a deleware,and a partridge rock. My neighbors have already started laying and we got them at the same time. They keep kicking the fake egg out of the nesting box. They are 22 and 23 weeks old. What is going on with my flock?

Back
Top Bottom