Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

During the week they are in a run during the day. I don't see anyplace she could hide eggs.
I would still have a good look around. I have found nests that I just couldn't see until I found them.

Otherwise I no longer feed a layer ration as it has the minimum daily requirements for protein. If your birds eat extra stuff they could become deficient which affects laying. I feed either a non medicated starter grower or an All Flock ration with a separate bowl of oyster shells. I recommend a protein amount of 18-22% to optimize production.

I am going to try switching the feed to the All Flock today. She is still not laying and there is no way there are hidden eggs, I turn the soil in the run weekly. I did treat my hens for rounds last fall. Is it possible her not laying could be due to parasites? I haven't seen any signs or roundworms since they were treated with Panacur last November.

I am going to try switching the feed to the All Flock today. She is still not laying and there is no way there are hidden eggs, I turn the soil in the run weekly. I did treat my hens for rounds last fall. Is it possible her not laying could be due to parasites? I haven't seen any signs or roundworms since they were treated with Panacur last November.
I personally have never wormed any of my birds and never will. My birds lay fairly consistently until they get past 3-4 years than it becomes more sporadic.

It could be worms. If mine slow down, I do administer a wormer. I also find they lay better with organic feed. Might be crazy, but that's been my experience.

I have only four adult hens at this time. I am in the middle of changing out the flock. My littles aren't laying yet. However, I have not had an egg in 3 days. In the last week, I have gotten 12 eggs. I agree there is some stress with changes in the flock, but this is the second change out and I have not experienced this long of a dry spell. I spoke to a breeder and he said his egg production is way down too and told me that other breeders in the area are having the same issue. It hasn't been overly hot here, with frequent rainy days cooling the temp. I check the yard twice a day for eggs and have found none. These chickens are enclosed in a yard with a 6 ft privacy fence around it. There is wire at the bottom so predators can't dig in. The patio / dog yard is separate from the chicken yard by a pig wire fence. Still no eggs. They look healthy and are eating well- wonder if I need to worm them. How old do littles have to be to be safely wormed? Mine are almost 12 wks.

I have 3 Swedish Flower Hens who are almost 8 months old. They haven't started laying yet. Should I be concerned? I do have a rooster with them. It has been cold here, but my Ameracaunas are laying just fine. It's my understading that hens start to lay between 6-9 months. Maybe I'm concerned for no reason.

I have 3 Swedish Flower Hens who are almost 8 months old. They haven't started laying yet. Should I be concerned? I do have a rooster with them. It has been cold here, but my Ameracaunas are laying just fine. It's my understading that hens start to lay between 6-9 months. Maybe I'm concerned for no reason.
Are they confined? Sometimes they make hidden nests. I'm still waiting on some of my Cochin pullets hatched last May to get started, mine are 8 months. It's not unusual this time of year. I'm not familiar with SFH, and their laying habits, but if there are no hidden nests than they just need more time.

What are you feeding them? If you switched them over to a layer ration it could slow down maturity.

Are they confined? Sometimes they make hidden nests. I'm still waiting on some of my Cochin pullets hatched last May to get started, mine are 8 months. It's not unusual this time of year. I'm not familiar with SFH, and their laying habits, but if there are no hidden nests than they just need more time.

What are you feeding them? If you switched them over to a layer ration it could slow down maturity.
Yes, they are confined. I let them feee-range when the weather is nice. It's too cold now to let them out. Plus, hawks are looking for food now too.
They eat Layena pellets. It's what I feed all my gals.

Yes, they are confined. I let them feee-range when the weather is nice. It's too cold now to let them out. Plus, hawks are looking for food now too.
They eat Layena pellets. It's what I feed all my gals.
A layer ration is generally lower in protein than a grower or an All Flock ration. That would slow down maturity. You shouldn't feed a layer to hens that aren't laying as they don't require all that extra calcium.

Back
Top Bottom