Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Ok, thank you. Next time I go to the feed store (which is this weekend) I'll get some All Flick or Grower.
Make sure to offer a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. I never feed a layer anymore, preferring the all flock or non medicated grower with the separate oyster shells.

Will do. Thank you for the advice. I live my birds, and want the nest for them. Here they are! They are very friendly. We didn't handle them as chick b/c we didn't want to stress them. They love jumping into our laps, and eat from our hands.

Attachments

• 20170916_165528.jpg
    20170916_165528.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 3
Ok, so my year old hens were laying everyday, I have 4, so I was getting 4 eggs,but the past week or two, it's been different. Go days with 1 or 2 eggs, then 3 eggs the next day, then 1 egg the following day.
I added my new chicks to rum a few weeks ago, they are now 10wks old. Then, OnE of my hens tried to go broody, only lasted a few days, and was over it.
The egg production lowered after she went broody. Question is, could this have caused the decrease? Could it be the feed? Or stress of the chicks getting older?
Please help with any input. Thank you!

Ok, so my year old hens were laying everyday, I have 4, so I was getting 4 eggs,but the past week or two, it's been different. Go days with 1 or 2 eggs, then 3 eggs the next day, then 1 egg the following day.
I added my new chicks to rum a few weeks ago, they are now 10wks old. Then, OnE of my hens tried to go broody, only lasted a few days, and was over it.
The egg production lowered after she went broody. Question is, could this have caused the decrease? Could it be the feed? Or stress of the chicks getting older?
Please help with any input. Thank you!
That initial spring ramp up in production is starting to slow. For the next few months production in many will go up, than down, and even stop for weeks in most heritage breeds. Higher production breeds should keep laying but may start to lay fewer per week.

Hi
Following chick hatching earlier in the year we have two young pullets. Added to this we essentially rescued a hen from a local school that no longer wanted to look after the hen. This hen was laying before she came to live with us.
Hen and pullets share a coop and free range our large back garden all day with an all flock feed available.

From day one with us the hen has not laid. I put this down to stress initially but even after a few weeks there was no change. The chicks moved into the coop and she took to them well and there’s no issues there. there’s access to oyster shell grit too and fresh water daily.

many suggestions as to why hen might not be laying? Looking at the usual suspects list I don’t think any of those seem to apply as she’s healthy and has access to all needed.

many help would be appreciated.

Hi
Following chick hatching earlier in the year we have two young pullets. Added to this we essentially rescued a hen from a local school that no longer wanted to look after the hen. This hen was laying before she came to live with us.
Hen and pullets share a coop and free range our large back garden all day with an all flock feed available.

From day one with us the hen has not laid. I put this down to stress initially but even after a few weeks there was no change. The chicks moved into the coop and she took to them well and there’s no issues there. there’s access to oyster shell grit too and fresh water daily.

many suggestions as to why hen might not be laying? Looking at the usual suspects list I don’t think any of those seem to apply as she’s healthy and has access to all needed.

many help would be appreciated.
Age, breed, and feeding will affect production.

Some breeds lay very little, and spend months out of production.

Older hens will often quit completely.

A hen needs enough protein, and a formulated ration in order to be able to produce eggs. So if the diet is lacking production will stop.

Another reason would be health problems. Any illness or internal problems will stop production as well.

Age, breed, and feeding will affect production.

Some breeds lay very little, and spend months out of production.

Older hens will often quit completely.

A hen needs enough protein, and a formulated ration in order to be able to produce eggs. So if the diet is lacking production will stop.

Another reason would be health problems. Any illness or internal problems will stop production as well.
Thanks I’ll review the feed etc to make sure. I can’t see any obvious signs of illness. Anything I should look out for?

Back
Top Bottom