WHY CAN'T MY CHICKENS STAY ASLEEP WHEN I TURN ON THE RED LIGHT ?

Smilin Teri

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
When they were 1 day old they had it. Up until 5 weeks when they had feathers-- I wanted to use it to take chill off in coop----BUT EVERYTIME I turn it on -THEY WAKE UP- WHY ?? What do you use to take chill off and what temp do you think that is needed ??

My chicks have had zero heat from three weeks.

If they are comfortably sleeping and you shine a light on them why are you surprised they wake up?

HAAA I DON'T shine in in the eyes it is in the corner of coop---If they sleep with it when they were little--I thought they could still sleep through-- They most likely DON'T need heat it is most likely me--it has gotten 34--Thanks for your help

Are you sure they aren't just awake when your around?

At night my chickens freak out when I'm buy the coop.

The red light does stimulate them. Chicks in the brooder fall asleep when they're tired enough, whether it's dark or not. But I'm not at all surprised that the red light is keeping your adult hens awake. Get rid of it. 34 degrees? They laugh at that.

My my adult flock could sleep at the heat lamp on, they didn't even seem to be able to see me with it on... very surprised when I reached up and touched them, they did wake up and freak out.
I agree with the above poster though you probably don't need to heat the coop.

Last edited:
Thanks for all answers---It is normal for me to worry since I just got them in spring RIGHT ???? They just aren't for eggs they are my PETS now---

It's normal to worry.

However worrying leads to many chicken owners babying their chickens and forgetting that they are quite capable and durable.

Back
Top Bottom