Why did my fish die!?

Most diseases can be prevented and even cured by water changes. I have dealt with ick, the best way to be rid of it is to crank the temperature up to the high 80-90 range for about a week using a heater. It works especially well with tropical fish and I have used it on goldfish as well. Another technique is to slowly increase the salinity by adding aquarium salts, I don't remember the exact formula. I have used the meds but found that raising the temperatures or the salt way works best.

Most bacterial and fungus problems are from dirty water or stressed fish from dirty water. It doesn't hurt to keep some of the tablets on hand that they sell in Wal-Mart. If your fish look healthy now they should remain so unless you add more fish. Some addition of some aquarium salts can help during stressful time.

The gravel or filter media needs to be from a running tank as the bacteria will die after a while. Though supposedly the bacteria arrives in your tank through the air, so it must always be present somewhere.

It does sound like they were spawning. It's the only time they chase each other, they also try to bump the belly of the female which is necessary to push the eggs out. They will often stop to eat the eggs. Any shift in water temperature to warmer will often trigger a spawn. When I do my water changes I add water slightly warmer than the tank temperatures, and sometimes they will spawn.

I always seem to have more male goldfish than females. When males are in breeding condition they will have what looks like salt granules on their gill covering, don't mistake that for ick. You can also tell when they are spawning, the males chase the females.

When cycling your tank water changes can be as frequent as daily, I can't remember the numbers at the moment of ammonia and nitrites that are extremely toxic, I will look it up, as long as numbers stay in the safe area it's best to let the cycle go until ammonia than nitrites are zero and nitrates are going up.

After the tank is cycled I recommend about once a week changing about 50% to keep them clean. There's also a number where nitrates will become a problem, as well as them feeding algae. You can have low nitrates but lots of algae. There is one plant I use regularly in my smaller goldfish tank that the fish will eat as well as it using nitrates. I will get my fish book later and share all this stuff.
Your tank should be fine where it's at. Goldfish are good at adapting.

Thanks again for all the information and your help!!

I'll keep in mind those tips if they ever get sick.

Ohh okay, I dont have a running tank so I guess I just have to use the bottled bacteria?

Now that you describe the spawning it makes sense and does kinda sound like what they were doing. Especially since I took some out yesterday and even more appeared. And it kinda looks like eggs not bubbles when I looked close after you said that. So what do I do? Take the eggs out or do I leave them?

I'll change the water a lot then and test today

Thanks again :)

The fish when I first bought them (January 26th)

I think these are when I was changing the water in the bowl but later moved them that same day, January 31st (going off the dates on the pictures here hah)

And I'm sure you probably already know this but click on the pictures for bigger and better quality ones cause I'm on my phone and can't upload them bigger

And they look really pale in the tank but they're not really that pale, just the lighting and empty tank. Which btw I have a bunch of plants I'm gonna add and I'm gonna buy some gravel.

They look pretty good. They will do well in that tank for a while.

I tried to get the test numbers, but than I realized every test kit has different reading so follow your test kit readings. If the numbers go into the danger zone do a 20% or so water change. If you see the fish flashing, or rubbing against things than you should do a water change as it means they are itchy and uncomfortable.

The name of the plant I sometimes use is called anacharis, it isn't a true rooting plant, I let it float at the surface of the tank, it slowly grows and the fish will munch on it. I tried for a picture of my 75 gallon tank with my kindle to show you it but it's a mess of a photo,

It's on the left above the plastic plants. I do have a heater in that tank because my basement is cold, between 55-60 and I have some fancy goldfish in that tank who can't take it as cold as the single tailed varieties. I heat that tank to about 68 degrees.

Get gravel if you want some, it isn't necessary, and a tank can be cleaner, but you do have to be careful to keep enough other stuff in there for bacteria to colonize and grow on. You will also have to be more careful to not rinse the biofilter unless necessary, that would be the black foam pad that should be a part of you filter set up.

Thanks! Glad the others don't look too bad. And that's good they'll be okay in this tank a while so I don't have to buy another one right away :)

I'll keep that in mind and let you know the results of the test :)

Should I test before I add the bacteria or after or does it not matter?

Thanks, I think I might have had some of that in my betta's tank, I bought a pack of plants, can't remember what all was in it, so I'll have to get some more.

I was planning on adding a bunch of silk plants but putting them kind of in one area so they have a hiding and an open swimming area. Is that a good idea and would the plants hold the bacteria? I think I might still add gravel though because some of them need to be weighed down.

And I'll try not to rinse it. It says to replace the filter cartridge like every 4 weeks. Do you think that's accurate? I think it's just the white one not the black one right?

Yes you only replace the white one. With goldfish it can need to be changed more often. I rinse my white filters every few days to make them last longer.

I would probably do a test to get a baseline before you add the bacteria so you know where you are starting. When I used the bottled stuff it worked pretty well and quick, nothing like letting it cycle on its own which can become a mess quickly. Seems like my tank was cycled within a week with the bottled stuff, but it's been about a decade since I used it.

I don't use a lot of plants in my goldfish tanks because they hold debris under them, and I find too many annoying. If you use gravel you don't need any plastic plants, if you use no gravel that a few should be enough. Decorating is mostly for you. Goldfish don't usually hide so they just need an open way to swim back and forth.

Thanks!

So then I'll rinse it to make it last longer and try to change it more. How do you know when it needs to be changed?

And good idea, I'll test it then add it. Wow that's fast :)

I hadn't thought of the debris getting caught under them or that goldfish didn't really use them so maybe I'll just add a couple then?

I'm thinking I might set up another tank so maybe I could save it for that.

If I do, should I use the bottle stuff for that too or cycle the regular way? Or would I even need to once the goldfish tank gets established?

I'm thinking I want to set up either another 20 gallon or like a 29 gallon or larger tank and put like platies and maybe mollies and stuff in it. I definitely want platy.

First I'll get the goldfish all settled though so this might be in a couple months but I was just thinking about it now if I'm going by the "fishless cycle takes 4 weeks" thing I read and wanting to plan ahead and not mess up and impulse with those fish too.

I read that goldfish are curious and like to explore and can get bored or depressed without much to do? But I'm not sure how true that is and I think I'd rather them have room to swim and get exercise. Besides, that's probably more with one or two fish?

Okay so I think pH is around 7.4 to 7.6 using both the pH test and the high range pH test. Still testing the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I'll be back

Sounds like a fish addiction has started. I had at one time 11 tanks, I'm down to 3 and don't plan to get anymore fish as my goldfish will be around for a while yet.

Once you have one tank established it's as easy as setting up the tank, filling it and letting it sit for 24 hours, than either swap biofilters with an established tank, or add some used gravel or plastic plants which will seed the tank, I add a pinch of food to feed the bacteria, wait another day, than usually you can add the fish. Feed sparingly for a few days than you should be fine. It's the first tank that is the hardest. Never totally clean out a tank unless you are done with it.

I had tried platy and mollys, both didn't live long in my water conditions. I did enjoy the babies. I would use a turkey baster to suck them up to put them in a breeders net. I preferred the platy to the mollys. It's all addictive.

My goldfish just want to eat and they will swim around until they see you than they start sucking at the water surface. Mine will continually look for food sifting through the gravel. Occasionally one gets a stone stuck in its mouth and needs help removing it, but that doesn't happen too often, and happens less as they get older and their mouth gets bigger.

If you can find some of that plant they will busy themselves chewing at it. I honestly never saw a bored gdfish. Tropical fish need more hiding spots than goldfish do.

Back
Top Bottom