Why did she lay a very small egg today?

I also had my older hen, Itty Bitty lay a small egg yesterday. Hope it is a hiccup. She is my bitchy hen not liking the new laying girls interloping in her favorite nest where she lays. Picture of egg (she is the only one who lays brown eggs) and then one of the younger girls in Itty Bitty's nest. I took Quinn's picture today. The chickens all seem to prefer Itty Bitty's corner instead of the nesting boxes. I put in some fake eggs and yes; sometimes they use a box but not often.

The last few days I've found soft shelled eggs then today my son found a little tiny egg. I'm not totally sure who is laying the soft eggs or who laid the tiny one. I have 5 total. One lays tan eggs, one blue green and the other three different shades of green. So I think it is one of the three that lay the green eggs who is laying the soft and now tiny egg. I also have one that sometimes lays an egg randomly in the hen house and not in any of the five roosting boxes. They eat layer food and I give them oyster shells a few times a week. Any suggestions?

Thanks for posting this thread. I've had bantam chickens for about two weeks. I'm stressed with them because my cock is very sick and one hen stopped laying as she wasn't well either. THEN I watched her lay this in front of me in the run. I didn't know what to think! It's SO teeny! Thanks for putting my mind at ease. :)

Thanks for posting this thread. I've had chickens for about two weeks. I'm stressed with them because my cock is very sick and one hen stopped laying as she wasn't well either. THEN I watched her lay this in front of me in the run. I didn't know what to think! Thanks for putting my mind at ease. :)

My girl got reintroduced to my new flock and she had stopped laying for a while. I went out and found this little thing in her nest! I'm guessing it's just due to stress from moving and the new intro may have disrupted her cycle for a bit. I candled it and so far no shadow of a yolk but we'll see in the morning....

I used to raise Serama bantams. I got a lot of tiny eggs. Some Serama hens are too small to fit in an egg-laying apparatus. Breeder Seramas should be a bit larger than those tiny little show birds. There are different grades of Seramas. Use intermediate or larger birds for breeders.

Hi how did your chook go with the tiny egg? I gave mine a fright while she was laying about 5 months ago. She has only just started laying again but, I think, she has only laid twice and both times it was a tiny egg. The same as yours around a dime in size.
No yolk.
I hope your story ended well.
Regards,
Audrey

I just had one of my Pheasants lay a tiny egg as discussed on this thread, im wondering if i put it in incubation with the others, will anything grow?

We've been getting small eggs with no yolk on a regular basis and they aren't new layers. Is there something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom