Why do we love chickens so much?

Oh my gosh the same thing happened to me! I was lying down having a snack the hens swarmed me and the My nifty hen Audrey ( who is always getting out of the run and into the garden ) Jumped up on my stomach and attempted to steal my food I got her off then gave her some food then lay back down this time Carmel our Rhode Island Red hens jumps on my stomach and in attempt to balance she digs her toenails into my gut - tiny bit annoying but ever so cute and hilarious
lau.gif
Peepers dug her toe nails into my gut while I was laughing and turning to the side, it tickled and hurt at the same time! XD Chickens are so funny when you take food out, they stare right up at you with those big, pleading, sparkling eyes and cooing in the most pleading way possible. I can't sit on the ground (or lay) when I have food, otherwise Rosie my Rhode Island Red runs right over and tries to take the food as fast as she can! So cute and very hilarious!
D.gif

Last edited:
I have had OEB's for a while just got 10 hatchery auracana's I think 8 hens and two Roo's. I am going to try hand taming the Roo's I have never had any luck with well behaved standard size Roo's. Really hoping I can keep these two around. Their Daddy is huge about two feet tall!!! So they will make great guard chickens llong as they dont guard against me!!!
I tame-down my OEGb roos with lots of hand feeding. I'll choose a different one each night as the flock begins their nightly roosting/preening rituals. I'll take the roo down off the roost and sit with it in the coop, feeding it scratch/treats and scratching it's neck and back. Some nights I'll take them for a walk, carrying them around the fence line. I try to tame all of my chickens as if there is ever an injury, they aren't such a nightmare to handle and treat. Good Luck!
hc

Great idea Housecat. That's pretty much what I did with my roo who I trust completely--unless I fall over dead in the yard..............

I suppose there are those that are mean, but wonder if it is the individual or that people haven't taken the time to work with the rooster.

Our rooster is very sweet and does a great job.

me too! I have 3 cockerels, all hand fed. Royce since he was 2 days old, and my new boys, who've been here for 5 weeks only took 2 weeks to warm up to me. Osiris will let me hold him, Archimedes is content eating out of my hand, I'm cool with that...
all 3 are very good, I house Si and Archie together, separated from Royce, but they get along like gentleman while ranging,

I suppose there are those that are mean, but wonder if it is the individual or that people haven't taken the time to work with the rooster.
I suppose it's only human to want to believe that the bad roosters "just weren't raised right", but there are some roos that just plain don't like people. I have one OEGb roo who I've spent the most time with that is the worst behaved. I can pick him up every night and rub his neck until he's purring but every morning when I open up the coop- he's right there to kick the ish out of me. For a 25oz rooster, he can kick hard. I can only imagine what kind of pain a 5 or 10lb cock can bring.
In the end though, you can't hold it against them. Good or bad, they're roosters and that's all they know how to be.

I suppose it's only human to want to believe that the bad roosters "just weren't raised right", but there are some roos that just plain don't like people. I have one OEGb roo who I've spent the most time with that is the worst behaved. I can pick him up every night and rub his neck until he's purring but every morning when I open up the coop- he's right there to kick the ish out of me. For a 25oz rooster, he can kick hard. I can only imagine what kind of pain a 5 or 10lb cock can bring.
In the end though, you can't hold it against them. Good or bad, they're roosters and that's all they know how to be.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/ginger-the-greatest-rooster yes it may be true roosters can be mean but not mine! Check it out!

frow.gif
ChickadeeRanch
welcome-byc.gif
!
we had a picnic last night in the backyard, with the whole family ~ me and my fiance, all the cats, the dog and the whole flock... ~ Peach, my little EE x bantam Cochin kept flying up to the edge of the table, and eventually took station in my lap... her protector, Osiris, one of 3 EE cockerels was bokking for her to come back... but she ignored him
love.gif
and stayed for about 15 minutes... I don't mind cold food... it was so nice to chill out with her.

Back
Top Bottom