Why have a rooster

chickenkid25

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
I have a flock of 11 chickens, they are 3 weeks old. They all seem to be hens accept for one. We got these chickens just for eggs, so im wondering what the pros and cons are for having roosters and if having one will effect the eggs. Thanks:)

Hens will start laying at 18-20 weeks old. Hens will lay eggs without a cockerel.

The reason people have Cockerels is to fertilize their eggs for hatching. So you don't need a cockerel unless you want to hatch chicks.

Some members feel that a roo is useful to have around in terms of flock protection (or at least alarm-calling). I personally do not subscribe that to as being a sufficiently good reason for me to have one. My flock is a lot more settled and (seemingly) less stressed now that they do not have a roo around (and I know i am!).

CT

First you need to find out if there are any regulations that prevent you from keeping a cockerel/rooster in your neighbourhood and if it will cause a noise nuisance to neighbours or even yourselves.

Pros...
1. You will be able to hatch your own fertile eggs which will make your flock self sustaining.... young pullets coming into lay as older birds decrease production and excess cockerels can be eaten if you can cope with that.
2. Roosters do usually stand guard whilst the girls are foraging and give a warning if there is a predator. This can be useful if you free range although it depends upon the stealth of the predator and the ability of the hens to heed the warning and escape in time if it is spotted.
3. Eye candy.... roosters can be very striking and attractive
4. They will usually round up the hens and make sure they all go to bed.

Cons..
1. Noisy... they can crow at all hours of the day and night.
2. An extra and unproductive mouth to feed.
3. They can be aggressive both to humans, other pets and even their hens sometimes if they are dominant and won't submit to him. Young roosters brought up with pullets of the same age can be a real pain when they hit adolescence. It's better to have an older established rooster with young hens or a young rooster with older hens who will put him in his place and teach him some manners before he is old enough and wise enough to take control.
4. They sometimes have a favourite hen that gets over mated and raw backed.

No real difference re the eggs apart from the fact that they can develop into chicks if they are incubated. Certainly no taste difference that I can discern and there is a miniscule visual difference although you have to be reasonably experienced to see it. Certainly the average person could not tell the difference.

First you need to find out if there are any regulations that prevent you from keeping a cockerel/rooster in your neighbourhood and if it will cause a noise nuisance to neighbours or even yourselves.

Pros...
1. You will be able to hatch your own fertile eggs which will make your flock self sustaining.... young pullets coming into lay as older birds decrease production and excess cockerels can be eaten if you can cope with that.
2. Roosters do usually stand guard whilst the girls are foraging and give a warning if there is a predator. This can be useful if you free range although it depends upon the stealth of the predator and the ability of the hens to heed the warning and escape in time if it is spotted.

Cons..
3. They can be aggressive both to humans, other pets and even their hens sometimes if they are dominant and won't submit to him. Young roosters brought up with pullets of the same age can be a real pain when they hit adolescence. It's better to have an older established rooster with young hens or a young rooster with older hens who will put him in his place and teach him some manners before he is old enough and wise enough to take control.

No real difference re the eggs apart from the fact that they can develop into chicks if they are incubated. Certainly no taste difference that I can discern and there is a miniscule visual difference although you have to be reasonably experienced to see it. Certainly the average person could not tell the difference.

Some members feel that a roo is useful to have around in terms of flock protection (or at least alarm-calling). I personally do not subscribe that to as being a sufficiently good reason for me to have one. My flock is a lot more settled and (seemingly) less stressed now that they do not have a roo around (and I know i am!).

CT
First you need to find out if there are any regulations that prevent you from keeping a cockerel/rooster in your neighbourhood and if it will cause a noise nuisance to neighbours or even yourselves.

Pros...
1. You will be able to hatch your own fertile eggs which will make your flock self sustaining.... young pullets coming into lay as older birds decrease production and excess cockerels can be eaten if you can cope with that.
2. Roosters do usually stand guard whilst the girls are foraging and give a warning if there is a predator. This can be useful if you free range although it depends upon the stealth of the predator and the ability of the hens to heed the warning and escape in time if it is spotted.

Cons..
3. They can be aggressive both to humans, other pets and even their hens sometimes if they are dominant and won't submit to him. Young roosters brought up with pullets of the same age can be a real pain when they hit adolescence. It's better to have an older established rooster with young hens or a young rooster with older hens who will put him in his place and teach him some manners before he is old enough and wise enough to take control.

No real difference re the eggs apart from the fact that they can develop into chicks if they are incubated. Certainly no taste difference that I can discern and there is a miniscule visual difference although you have to be reasonably experienced to see it. Certainly the average person could not tell the difference.
thank you very much:)

CT
thank you

I only have hens now since I can't imagine having all that rooster noise. If I wanted to raise some chicks, could I "rent" a rooster for a time? Should I? Is there a better way?
Thx,
Rich in Alaska

One other benefit is you potentially have good fly tying material in the future if you have a rooster. I believe all my chickens are hens so far (11 weeks old) but I don't know for sure yet. The county zoning doesn't allow for roosters but several of my neighbors have them and I'm kinda hoping I have one. I know if I do have one I'd certainly like to get into breeding on a small scale.

Back
Top Bottom