Why i do not want GMO in my food or my pets food

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some of that MISinformation you spoke of.
GMO's generally require fewer pesticides, and LESS TOXIC pesticides than what was generally used before they were developed

Modern farmers use all the methods you named.
They aren't "exclusive" to the organic crowd
The organics on a COMMERCIAL scale require as much fuel to plant, harvest and distribute as GMO's, and often take MORE fuel due to extra tillage for weed control

No one is "hoodwinked"
All the rhetoric about "no testing" is simply false hype, considering nothing has stopped anyone from doing any testing they wanted to do in the DECADES these crops have been in production

If you don't want GMO, buy Certified Organic, because everything else is GMO

It's really pretty simple
Do you really believe that if Monsanto would go after a farmer because some of his crops got cross pollinated with GMO crops that they wouldnt falsify study reports? The FDA did not require studies on GMO's because Monsanto said that their seeds were inherently the same without proof.

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about GMO- it's just the natural extension of mankind's mastery of agriculture. Unfortunately, the way it is being used today is ethically unsound. The herbicide resistance that many plant species are developing will come back to bite us in a big way, all so that our tomatoes can be a few cents cheaper today. Not to mention the firms that sue farmers over the natural propagation of their crops.

Somewhere along the way our food production has gone from small and localized to a massive industrial business. And I've never trusted a business with my personal welfare.

I'd be interested in hearing of some more organic chicken feed solutions that are still cost-effective. Free-ranging can only cover so much of their daily diet. Right now I am content with the knowledge that my meat and eggs are the product of affection and humane treatment, rather than antibiotics and efficiency studies. Escaping GMO in today's market would probably require growing my own grains or paying a small fortune in upkeep.

I will have to disagree with you here. We are not masters of agriculture and especially not nature. GMOs could one day become a real technology but already given the current run of things none of these companies presents any real ability to trust. RIght now in order for foreign genes to be inserted into another organism these companies use a gene gun. I know sounds hookey and stupid but that is literally what it is. It shoots the desired gene in the genes of the plants. But no one can predict or place these genes with any accuracy into the host plant. Also in order to insure that the gene switches on, they force the switch on. These foreign genes can be placed in the middle of an expression and cause sequences that have been 'hibernating' for how many hundreds or thousands of years to switch on. Worse still is the now instability of these gene sequences when they pass into the wild which through do through pollen, compost and being consumed by large animals(compost is microbes doing the consuming). None of these gene expressions according to the companies can survive the heat of a digestive tract and thus cannot have an effect on other animals DNA. Turns out that is quite false.

But Monsanto and especially its employees who are the scum, nay the gum you stepped on in the parking lot on the bottom of your shoe. Well these employees will defend and say it is no big deal because these people are hated. You must be real desperate for money to work for a company like Monsanto(Agent range, CFCs etc etc), I mean it would be better to prostitute yourself in the worst possible way than to take money from poisoning the planet and other humans.

I just say that because these people will nonchalantly say things like oh you have no choice in feed unless you make it yourself. You see the whole you are either with us or you are all alone. The only people that are all alone are people who work for Monsanto and their ilk. If they were my friends or family I would disown them. That is the only way.

There are many choices in feed out there. FOr instance Manna makes a great scratch and it is not GMO. Being lazy is no excuse. Read the scientific studies, read about Monsanto and always ask why a CHEMICAL company now owns more of the worlds seeds than any other company.

Do you really believe that if Monsanto would go after a farmer because some of his crops got cross pollinated with GMO crops that they wouldnt falsify study reports? The FDA did not require studies on GMO's because Monsanto said that their seeds were inherently the same without proof.

All you have to do is look at the career of one Michael Taylor.

I agree about GMOs. As for the insinuation of the now famous 47%. I don't work. I get money from the government. I must be a piece of poo. I didn't pay taxes any of the times I was in Iraq either. Funny thing is that I signed a contract. The contract said that if I were to injured the government would take care of me to an extent. Guess I shouldn't have had that bomb planted under my vehicle. Guess that must mean I am asking for fairness in an unfair world. I mean I sure saw more sons and daughters out working or having a good ol'time while me and my brothers were bleeding and dying.

The internet stamps out truth is such a terrible generalization... Sounds to me like you enjoyed the easy life that did not require too much thinking. Now all of sudden you are required to think because suddenly all these organizations now decided to have agendas. Grow up.

Because consumers could choose and then GMO might go away? Come on Bear Foot, I can dream, can't I?

Because I don't know we sort of like this thing called freedom and choice is the exercising of freedom. Why would Monsanto spend $8 million dollars to keep their product from ending up on the labels of food in the grocery store? They are a corporation and should be concerned about their profits right? They should stand by their product in the OPEN market. The quality should be such that when given a choice we would all buy their crap anyway.

But it is not the case so they lobbied the government, paid people off and viola they have rules that benefit them and screw the rest of us.

Cindy in PA you are on the right side. Anyone who wants to stick with GMOs should but let the rest of us have our choice as well.

I think a bigger issue is how detached we've become from our food supply and where it comes from. I think many of us on this forum raise our birds in a healthy and humane manner, for eggs or meat, or both. Many of us garden. There's a comfort in knowing where that tomato was grown, or what that chicken was fed. We have an appreciation for the work that goes into putting food on the table, that let's face it...most Americans do not have. We live in a society of convenience. I'm not suggesting that everyone should or could grow and raise their own food. That's impossible for many reasons at this point. But companies like Monsanto exist because we allow them to. You might not be able to change what Monsanto is doing, but even if you can't have a garden, hunt or raise chickens, you still control what goes on your table.

If you want to eat GMO foods, that's fine, but if you're concerned, here's a list: http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/what-is-gmo/
The list of affected foods might not be as long as you think.

Wile reading through these post I got to thinking about something that I just have to ask.
Out of all the people that are posting on this thread, How many of you grow at least 10% of your own food a year?
Keep in mind that the average Adult American will eats around 2,000 pounds of food a year.

I ask this because there seems to be a lot of people that will sit behind a computer and complain about something but in the real world they do nothing about it.
I don't think someone that doesn't attempt to feed there self and expects someone else to do so for them should do much complaining.

Chris

Hi, givemewings310!
welcome-byc.gif
Looks like you're new around here!
big_smile.png

What you have written is what I have understood about the organic program. 95% organic and it is called "organic." Who knows what's in that other 5%? Natural flavors is what I see a lot. And there are some things that don't even have to be listed if they are small enough or there is an exception ruling on the ingredient. I don't think I've ever seen that 100% organic notation. Have you? But with things like the organic kelp we use doesn't really bother me if it doesn't have the 100% organic notation on it. (sorry about the horribly constructed sentence)

Here's an article that goes along with what you're saying. I find it rather amusing. Up to 38 Loopholes http://www.seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2003741899_organic10.html If that doesn't work, take out the www.

Sometimes I see things labeled as 100% organic. Not often.

Thank you to "Chris09" for correcting me. I have been under the impression that "organic" didn't necessarily mean "non-GMO", but now I understand much better and am much more relieved! I went to Modesto Milling in the next town over and bought organic feed and scratch from the source! This is what I was reading on http://www.organic.org/home/faq:

What does “organic” mean?

Simply stated, organic produce and other ingredients are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products do not take antibiotics or growth hormones.

The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) defines organic as follows:

Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled "organic," a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too.

How do I know if something is organic?

The USDA has identified for three categories of labeling organic products:

100% Organic: Made with 100% organic ingredients

Organic: Made with at least 95% organic ingredients

I was misunderstanding what could be the other 5%

Chris09 said: "Please go back and REREAD my post's I NEVER ONCE said GMO is Organic."

Thank you Chris09 for pointing this out, I specifically did not point the finger at you, but it
could be interpreted that way. I apologize.

Thanks,
mg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom