Why I haven't been around....So much for supporting our troops!

Dancing

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Prescott, KS
3 1/2 years ago, my husband and I were able to buy our farm and move. The house we had been in for 10 years, we decided to pay off and keep for our son to live in or to sell to help pay off the farm. Due to some legal issues with the deed, we were not able to put the deed in our name until June 15th. At which time we were informed that they were going to tear it down!

Our son, Jeremy lived there for just over a year before he went into the Army. He is now currently in Iraq and sadly, the house didn't get the attention it needed.

I admit that the yard needed serious help and the house needed to be painted (the siding was new and not yet painted) but because of these two things, the City decided to condemn the house and put it on the demolition list!

This house is structually SOUND! The roof is only 5 years old, the siding and windows all less than 5 years old. But, it did need painting. I admit and accept the blame for the lack of attention the yard got. I had hired someone to tend to the yard but apparently they failed miserably. Being 100 miles away from it, I didn't check on it like I should have.

On the 23rd of June, my hubby went to a "commitee" meeting to plead our case. He explained about the deed and that the house, although in our names, does belong to our son. He also explained that our son is currently serving in Iraq and that he is counting on that house as a place to live once he gets out of the army.

Jeremy injured his knee during his first deployment to Iraq and in the following year, all the army would do about it was give him motrin! Then they deployed him again to Iraq last October on his second tour. He is facing a medical board upon his return and there is about an 80% chance he is going to be medically discharged. He NEEDS that house. The "city" doesn't care. (and this is a military town!)

Jeremy wants to attend college but if he lives with us on our farm, the commute would be 100 miles EACH WAY and just not posible. The other house is located where he would have a 20 mile commute.

Anyway, we have been busting behind to save his house for him. We have cleaned up the yard and totally painted the house. Fixed the trim that needed it and now have to paint the garage. We have worked for almost 2 weeks and STILL they won't tell us if they are going to take it off the demo list. We have a professional lawn care service now that is taking care of the "issues". They have sprayed to kill everything except the grass (the yard was mostly creeping charlie) and is going to reseed in the fall. My hubby has been getting up at 4:30 every morning, going to work until 3-4pm and then going up there to work on the house until dark (8:30) and then making the 2 hour drive home to take care of the farm animals and gliders. I've been staying up there with NO utilities hooked up for the last 6 days (to save on gas). We have spent over $600 in two weeks on gas alone on the commutes back and forth to work on the house.

The city won't tell us what they feel needs done. They only say "bring it to a higher standard". This house is the largest one on the block and also one of the nicest. The house next door is horrible yet they have chosen to demo ours because it isn't "occupied" right now.

We have until Monday to "finish" the house and "bring it to a higher standard" in the hopes that they will lift the demo order.

Here is a link to photo bucket with some before and almost after photos (the house is still in progress). The house is now painted a light blue with grey trim.

Does this look like a house that needs torn down????

http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx104/TAHaas/

Well, we have worked and worked on it and there is just nothing left we can posibly do right now. We got the garage painted and I even repainted the shed (that didn't really need it). We have a meeting with the "commitee" tues night at 7pm. Hopefully they will take the house off the "demo list". I just don't know what more we can do at this time. But you can believe that if it is NOT removed from the demo list, the press will be contacted and I will HOUND those on that commitee (including the mayor) until it is.

Last edited:
Dancing,

I got your package with towels today.. thank you!!!
wee.gif
I'm so sorry your family is going through all this. I think the house looks great, I'd live there in a second.
fl.gif
Good luck tomorrow night, please keep us updated. Your family is in my prayers.
hugs.gif

Nancy

Very nice house! I wish MY house looked like that.
Do you know when your son will return?
Maybe turning the utilities back on and having someone there is what is needed. But I know you can't live their forever.
That's the problem with some city governments. They think it's their job to harass and meddle.
Good luck, Mom. It's obvious that you and Dad love your boy more than anything in the world.
hugs.gif

How can they demo a house for a paint job!? UGH! Idiots! We should all e-mail the people that are doing this!
10638_sign0151.gif

I just thought of something to add that might or might not be a help. If this is a legal action, you could do some research and see if it can be delayed since your son is currently deployed. For example, IIRC, creditors (CC companies, etc.) cannot come after an active military member during their deployment. There might be something similar that would apply to your situation. Best of luck.

Wow! Like the house myself. I'd live there....no, wait. Don't think I want to live in a town that would demolish a nice house like yours. They seriously need to rethink this and be much more specific than "bring it to a higher standard" Is there someone on that board who wants the lot? Does the city want to put a street through it? If it were my place, I'd be asking if I made someone on the committee mad, or... or.... (Ignore me. I'm paranoid!
lol.png
)

Have you contacted a lawyer at all? I'm not understanding how they can tell you they are demo'ing a property because its "not up to standards." There has to be something in code that says it is not fit to live in, period. Just because someone doesnt "like" the color of a house or whatever..does not give them the right to tell you, the legal owner - to tear it down.

You own the property.. you own the house. It can sit empty for years so long as you upkeep the property if that is what is in the agreement.

Contact a lawyer immediately. think about this - they are making you tear down a house, but yet you can rebuild another one??

Show me the paperwork that states WHO, WHAT, WHEN, and WHERE the codes were violated, its unsafe, unhealthy, etc... and then... we'll talk
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom