Why is it that Layer Feed is Lower in Protein Than Other Types of Chicken Feed?

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
If laying hens need such a high protein content in their feed, why is the layering feed lower in protein content than the other types of chicken feed, such as 'All-Flock'? Maybe there's something I don't understand here. Thanks for any insight.

16% was found that that was the absolute minimum amount of protein birds can have and still be productive and healthy.
It was study (1960's) to see how cheaply you could feed egg laying birds, such as those found in egg farms.
If they don't get any treats or scraps, it's fine, there's nothing to dilute the protein.
I feed my birds atleast 18% since they get occasional treats and scraps and I've found several non-feed related studies from the 90's that fed 17% protein.

COST.

I wrote this summary a while back.

@nuthatched above is correct, with a Caveat. The studies were NOT interested in the long term health of the birds - only their health over their productive life (approx 22 months, total) - and whether food related losses (mortality, reduced production, etc) exceeded costs to increase the nutritional value of the feed. Historically, commercial egg production has been a very low margin business - a couple % increase in feed price could be the difference between being profitable or not. Keep in mind also, their replacement costs are MUCH lower than our own.

COST.

@nuthatched above is correct, with a Caveat. The studies were NOT interested in the long term health of the birds - only their health over their productive life (approx 22 months, total) - and whether food related losses (mortality, reduced production, etc) exceeded costs to increase the nutritional value of the feed. Historically, commercial egg production has been a very low margin business - a couple % increase in feed price could be the difference between being profitable or not. Keep in mind also, their replacement costs are MUCH lower than our own.
Ah yes, should have mentioned that the birds weren't intended to be long lived.
There was no probing into long term issues because in egg farm birds, 'long term' means maybe 2 years.

If laying hens need such a high protein content in their feed, why is the layering feed lower in protein content than the other types of chicken feed, such as 'All-Flock'? Maybe there's something I don't understand here. Thanks for any insight.
Aside from cost mentioned by other posters (maximal production for minimal expenditure).. it's also because growing young chicks (or any species) require more protein (or nutrients) to build the muscles.. and feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.. So the birds would never make it to laying age or be productive if they started at 16%.. reducing protein TOO soon stunts growth and delays the onset of production. Even the hummingbirds catch flies during nesting season!

Keeping protein up.. doesn't increase production that's genetics. Energy wise protein and carbs including fiber are equal.

I thought I might do better and extend the life of high productive layers like my Golden Comet through increased nutrition, but another (respected) poster said it made no difference for their sex link ladies. Again genetics.

This veterinary resource has feed requirement (means minimums) tables listed on the side of the page in blue boxes..

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...t-poultry/nutritional-requirements-of-poultry

They don't need such high protein. 16% is just fine.

COST.

My flock is 6 years old and still laying eggs...on 16% layer crumbles. No treats.

I'm not directing this at you I'm just stating it again.

My flock is 6 years old and still laying eggs...on 16% layer crumbles. No treats.

I'm not directing this at you I'm just stating it again.
I'm aware - just indicating that the lifespan of the chickens they were concerned about is a much shorter period than most BYCers are concerned with.

Ultimately, its risk management and a numbers game - but like Poker, you never know what hand you will be dealt.

Back
Top Bottom