• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

GoldenBlossoms

Songster
May 30, 2022
My oldest polish hen (she lays eggs) (2 y) is suddenly every day jumping on my slikie hen (3 y) trying to mate with her in a very rooster way. Even pulling some feathers from my poor slikies neck when she is mounting her. Why is she acting this way? She has never done this before she just started last week. I thought she was just moody and it would pass, but she is just getting worse with it.

(There are no roosters in the flock btw flock being 8 chickens of different breeds) 3 polish, 2 slikie, 2 orpingtons and 1 cochin)

She's being dominant.
I thought if she was being dominant she would be doing it to the other chickens too??? She isn't mating with any of the other hens only my one slikie chicken named Mango. She leaves the other slikie alone and doesn't mess with the others at all.

I thought if she was being dominant she would be doing it to the other chickens too??? She isn't mating with any of the other hens only my one slikie chicken named Mango. She leaves the other slikie alone and doesn't mess with the others at all.
When I had an all-hen flock, the alpha hen mounted a few of the others, but not all of them. I couldn't figure out why she chose the ones she did as none of them were particularly pushy hens.

I have never seen her pull out feathers or harm the others in any way though, so it might be a bit different. In my flock's case, it was a non-event. She would approach them, they would squat, then shake their feathers afterwards and go about their business.

When I had an all-hen flock, the alpha hen mounted a few of the others, but not all of them. I couldn't figure out why she chose the ones she did as none of them were particularly pushy hens.

I have never seen her pull out feathers or harm the others in any way though, so it might be a bit different. In my flock's case, it was a non-event. She would approach them, they would squat, then shake their feathers afterwards and go about their business.
She will chase the slikie making her scream and then jumps on her and mates with her while pulling some feathers and she does it worse if I hold my slikie hen since she is my one hen who wants my attention and likes to be picked up, but once I put her down my polish goes after her again even if she had just mounted her before I held her.

She will chase the slikie making her scream and then jumps on her and mates with her while pulling some feathers and she does it worse if I hold my slikie hen since she is my one hen who wants my attention and likes to be picked up, but once I put her down my polish goes after her again even if she had just mounted her before I held her.
Yikes, that sounds really stressful for you and Mango!

I don't really have any advice for you since this is not something I have witnessed before, but I would want to separate those two just for the sake of peace in the flock.

Yikes, that sounds really stressful for you and Mango!

I don't really have any advice for you since this is not something I have witnessed before, but I would want to separate those two just for the sake of peace in the flock.
Yeah that's the unfortunate thing. They free range the only way to really separate them is to bring Mango into the house but I am currently housing 3 Seroma chickens.

Back
Top Bottom