Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

She may have an infected oil gland. It can happen. Here is an article from Majestic about that. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue71.htm

Do you think maybe the meds she is on could be causing the issue with her feathers? when you put her in water does she start bathing and preening afterwards?

Maybe the meds are making her feel sick and she's not preening, and that's just a guess.

-Kathy

Thanks so much for the responses. I don't know what to do now, and I'm very worried about this. I just heard from Kim at Majestic, and what she said has me second guessing my vet. She isn't a fan of doxy and said it's very hard on ducks and that most vets she knows of would have opted for Baytril. I was already worried about the doxy because I know it's hard on humans, and it makes no sense to me that this duck is worse after a week of meds than she was when we took her in. Would it be irresponsible of me to go against the vet's advice and switch her to Baytril? I absolutely cannot deal with losing another duck right now even though this one isn't a keeper.

@JadeComputerGal Absolutely not, you have to do what you feel is right. Many vets just don't know enough about birds to properly treat them IMO. Doxy is a nasty antibiotic, and while it does have it's place, I know it has some bad side effects in humans. I'm hoping that since the vet I'm bringing the duck to today has a lot of experience with birds that she will be able to help. I'll ask her about the doxy as well while I'm there.

Thanks so much for the responses. I don't know what to do now, and I'm very worried about this. I just heard from Kim at Majestic, and what she said has me second guessing my vet. She isn't a fan of doxy and said it's very hard on ducks and that most vets she knows of would have opted for Baytril. I was already worried about the doxy because I know it's hard on humans, and it makes no sense to me that this duck is worse after a week of meds than she was when we took her in. Would it be irresponsible of me to go against the vet's advice and switch her to Baytril? I absolutely cannot deal with losing another duck right now even though this one isn't a keeper.
It would not be irresponsible of you at all, if you feel in your gut the Bayril is the way to go and you got good counsel then go for it. Hey @casportpony come in please.

Most people that know me know that I am a huge fan of Baytril. Call your vet and talk about the risks associated with using it. Doesn't that article in the majestic link say they started on doxycycline and switched to Baytril?

-Kathy

Last edited:
@JadeComputerGal Absolutely not, you have to do what you feel is right. Many vets just don't know enough about birds to properly treat them IMO. Doxy is a nasty antibiotic, and while it does have it's place, I know it has some bad side effects in humans. I'm hoping that since the vet I'm bringing the duck to today has a lot of experience with birds that she will be able to help. I'll ask her about the doxy as well while I'm there.

Bless you. I so much appreciate that. I'm completely beside myself over this, and she seems worse today.

I'm headed home to try and catch my girl after putting a 1/2in staple in my hand and hitting my medial nerve. This should be fun! @JadeComputerGal do you want to give me a list of symptoms and attempted treatments that I can tell the vet? I know you've posted them previously but I won't have a chance to look for them

It would not be irresponsible of you at all, if you feel in your gut the Bayril is the way to go and you got good counsel then go for it. Hey @casportpony come in please.

I just don't know what my gut is telling me except that I want this to be over. I don't know why I'm feeling so bad about going against a vet when I have no problem going against what people doctors say. I've told people doctors numerous times that their advice is asinine and I absolutely wasn't going to follow it. I could tell story after story about that. I guess my comfort with that comes from being in the medical field for 8 years, but I just don't feel like I know enough about all of it when it comes to ducks to contest a vet's advice.

It would not be irresponsible of you at all, if you feel in your gut the Bayril is the way to go and you got good counsel then go for it. Hey @casportpony
    come in please. 

I just don't know what my gut is telling me except that I want this to be over. I don't know why I'm feeling so bad about going against a vet when I have no problem going against what people doctors say. I've told people doctors numerous times that their advice is asinine and I absolutely wasn't going to follow it. I could tell story after story about that. I guess my comfort with that comes from being in the medical field for 8 years, but I just don't feel like I know enough about all of it when it comes to ducks to contest a vet's advice.

So many bacteria, and maybe you're dealing with one that's resistant to doxycycline? Your vet might have a reason for not prescribing Baytril. Mine prescribes it, but made me sign a waiver saying that I will never eat the eggs or meat from a bird treated with it.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom