Why is my rooster bowing at me?

madysaurus

In the Brooder
May 20, 2022
I have a rooster....Nugget...who's the sweetest little boy. He's just over a year old. Never bites or fights with anyone. I hand raised him so he's quite used to me and lets me pet him and scratch his pin feathers when he molts. He seems to really like it.

The thing is that whenever I get close to him he bows. I don't know why he does it? Is it his way of telling me he wants more scratches? His bows are lower after I stop scratching him. Is he upset with me for scratching him and ignoring his boundaries? Chicken language is complicated lol

Attachments

• 330404000_545347327659414_950783140828682826_n.jpg
    330404000_545347327659414_950783140828682826_n.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 100
I have a rooster....Nugget...who's the sweetest little boy. He's just over a year old. Never bites or fights with anyone. I hand raised him so he's quite used to me and lets me pet him and scratch his pin feathers when he molts. He seems to really like it.

The thing is that whenever I get close to him he bows. I don't know why he does it? Is it his way of telling me he wants more scratches? His bows are lower after I stop scratching him. Is he upset with me for scratching him and ignoring his boundaries? Chicken language is complicated lol
Is he dancing for you? Sounds real sweet! My old rooster would sometimes dance for me!

Oh and he is so pretty!!!

He is so handsome. My roosters bow for me also. I believe that when a rooster is approached, or put down, etc...and they bow or dance, they are just telling you they are happy you are there. I love my hens, but they are more superficial than my roosters. Roosters seem to have the capacity to have relationships similar to a dog.

Is he bowing and slowly walking sideways towards you? If so, that is him saying if he is intruded on. That he will fight. It is best just to give him his space. Do not act fearful. Just go on about what you are doing, making him think that you are not paying him no mind. He will more than likely just go on about his day also.

Last edited:

I think he's asking you to groom him. A roosters favourite hen grooms him.
The rooster lowers his head and the hen picks out dead quills and parasites in the areas he can't reach; back of head, comb and wattles.
Some people who see this behaviour and don't understand what's going on think the hen is pecking him in an aggresive manner, but it's friendly and the roosters love it.

view

why, he's building up and getting brave .. sooner or later he'll think he can take you lol ..

Is he bowing and slowly walking sideways towards you? If so, that is him saying if he is intruded on. That he will fight. It is best just to give him his space. Do not act fearful. Just go on about what you are doing, making him think that you are not paying him no mind. He will more than likely just go on about his day also.
There are many reasons why a rooster bows and slowly walks sideways according to Dr. Marino. I think in @madysaurus situation, it is #2 or #7:

1. For courtship
  2. A friendly greeting—“I’m happy to see you!”
  3. A show of dominance (which may lead to attack)
  4. A warning to back off
  5. To play
  6. To save face after submitting to a dominant rooster
  7. An expression of unbridled joy

Back
Top Bottom