Why is there more traffic on the duck forum???

Muscovies are the strong silent type. Khakis, buffs, runners, rouens and welsh harlequins can't take a single step without discussing it in depth with you, the rest of the flock, the cats, the neighbors....

My geese are definitely more talkative than my ducks!! My older one (about 3 months) makes it a point to come up from the pond every morning to say hi. Of course it has to follow me around saying hi while I feed everyone else, but it's pretty cool!! My young one (about 1 month old) is not quite as talkative, but still just as sweet!
I do think geese are easier than ducks, and they are so much more endearing!!

Maybe the reason is that geese people are too busy loving on their geese to have time to post about them??
big_smile.png

I had ducks as a child and loved them. There were geese at the barn where I boarded my horse as a child and one in paticular would attack us viciously so I had always hated geese.

I tried ducks on two occasions on my farm I have now and first time, they got into everything__ate the dogs' food like lightning and would get into horses' feed if they were not put up prior to feeding. Was a PAIN. Second time they just would not tame out at all no matter what we did.

A friend of mine suckered me into a gosling this year and I had full intention of getting her raised and GONE and got very attached. Geese are DEFINITELY much cooler than ducks and their personalities are AWESOM.
big_smile.png
If they are imprinted it is almost like having a little person or child around.

I have 22 ducks and 6 geese in the side yard on grass and it is a total gab fest in the a.m. and p.m. at feeding time or when I go out to check for eggs or when I walk over to the chicken yard, leave the yard, stick my head out the door, open the sliding glass door...no matter what I do ALL of them have an opinion or an observation to share with everyone else...they just crack me up...busy, nosy, loud , gabby, ever alert...I love them all...

I have one singleton gosling in the kennel run with three ducklings I got from chickenzoo...still a little young to integrate into the larger flock...the ducks chatter at me but move away and don't really care to be handled...the gosling comes to me with his little wings out and is not happy unless I pick him up and he can snuggle up under my chin for a few minutes...he likes to pull my hair too...and he sighs when I pick him up...he is such a little snuggle bunny...that one is a very special little "person."

Last edited:
Quote:
I roll my eyes every time he comes running in with an umbrella in one hand and Peter under his other arm. LOL

You should have heard my daughter when I told her that we no longer have a guest bedroom. It's now Peter's bedroom.
th.gif

Laurie

Quote:
Well I am glad that I am not the only one with a full grown goose in the house! I have always raised biddies and ducklings in the house initially and transitioned them out ASAP but my current goose I have stays in at night since she has no companions yet... She greatly enjoys watching tv and begs to be allowed up on the couch when she is not in her inside pen.
lol.png

Quote:
I roll my eyes every time he comes running in with an umbrella in one hand and Peter under his other arm. LOL

You should have heard my daughter when I told her that we no longer have a guest bedroom. It's now Peter's bedroom.
th.gif

Laurie

It's been so hot here the last two days, that I took the hose and gave my geese "rain showers" with a sprayer. They loved it and ran around flapping and chattering--followed by much preening and then napping. However, there are two that prefer not to participate and hide under the ramp.

Yes, I thought of Peter and giggled while I was doing it.
big_smile.png

I love my geese! My female white chinese goose (year old) is jealous if I TALK to the other 2 young brown chinese 1 male 1 female.

I am trying to get the new guy and gal to eat from my hand like Aflac does (white one) but she chases them away. She is not mean at all.

Any suggestions?

I felt bad because I was Sooo excited to get my chickens and ducks and then I had them for a few weeks and saw some Sebbies on craiglist and couldn't resist buying them and now they have stolen my heart!!
love.gif

I'm hoping that my pair are a girl/boy and they'll have babies, if not I'll just have to buy more, I know where to get them now!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I have two geese that are allowed in the house . . . I leave the back door open when I'm home and they sail in and out at will. I have laminate flooring and a mop handy and just do squit patrol a few times a day. They poop less than when they were younger. They mostly eat grass anyway, and that squit is super easy to clean up, it's hardly feces at all.

They sleep in my room in a playpen at night with food and water. They enjoy Discovery Health Channel, especially the late night ER shows, but their favorite is unabridged audiobooks, which I play for them when I am running errands. So far, they have listened to all of Jodi Picoult, Wally Lamb and some Orson Scott Card. The Ender Series is their favorite.

Back
Top Bottom