Why keep peafowl?

Do you think it would be inappropriate to try to find some social medias to post PP's picture on now asking if anyone knows where she might live? I know before posting her picture wasn't a good idea because we wanted her owner to have to describe her and posting her picture would allow any random person to claim her. I still don't know exactly where she came from, or where she went, though based on where someone spotted her dead sister we have a general direction. I feel like I'm facing a Schrodinger's peahen situation now. She made it home safely or got killed like her sister, if I don't look for her I won't know, so she's kind of alive and not alive now.
Do peafowl bond to their families like geese do? Any chance she may have gone back to where her sister was killed? Based on when the neighbor saw the dead peahen, I suspect PP was probably with her when it happened since PP showed up here a day or two later.
If I do keep looking, and happen to find her people, and it turns out she did make it home safely, I guess maybe I could be super forward and ask if they ever decide they want to rehome her if they'd get in touch with me.
On the other hand, I partly feel like I need to just drop it for the selfishness of my mental wellbeing.

Yeah, I agree. I love that my 6 yr old niece likes doing outdoor stuff. She recently hatched some chicks under her broody hens and last summer grew tomatoes and made her own "farm stand" in their driveway to sell the tomatoes she harvested. :D
She sounds like a little doll and very bright. My word 6 and selling her own tomatoes? Sounds like you have a future entrepreneur on your hands👍 Talents that seem to be nurtured by aunty 😁

Do you think it would be inappropriate to try to find some social medias to post PP's picture on now asking if anyone knows where she might live? I know before posting her picture wasn't a good idea because we wanted her owner to have to describe her and posting her picture would allow any random person to claim her. I still don't know exactly where she came from, or where she went, though based on where someone spotted her dead sister we have a general direction. I feel like I'm facing a Schrodinger's peahen situation now. She made it home safely or got killed like her sister, if I don't look for her I won't know, so she's kind of alive and not alive now.
Do peafowl bond to their families like geese do? Any chance she may have gone back to where her sister was killed? Based on when the neighbor saw the dead peahen, I suspect PP was probably with her when it happened since PP showed up here a day or two later.
If I do keep looking, and happen to find her people, and it turns out she did make it home safely, I guess maybe I could be super forward and ask if they ever decide they want to rehome her if they'd get in touch with me.
On the other hand, I partly feel like I need to just drop it for the selfishness of my mental wellbeing.
What do you truly want to do? Would you regret it if later you did not? Or..are you the what if type? I say go with your gut..I see nothing wrong with whatever the decision. If her owners truly cared for her they wouldn't let her wander.

What do you truly want to do? Would you regret it if later you did not? Or..are you the what if type? I say go with your gut..I see nothing wrong with whatever the decision. If her owners truly cared for her they wouldn't let her wander.
I'm very much a "what if" person and will likely regret any decision I make...or don't make if it means not knowing 100% that she's safe. But I'll also be crushed if I know for sure that something bad happened. I know peafowl have a tendency to wander so I don't completely fault her people for this situation. The two ends of our road are separated by a good size chunk of hunting land so we folks on our end don't really know folks up on that end. I mean, I had no idea anyone up there had peafowl anymore. We've run into similar situations with dogs. For some reason this stretch of road through the hunt club land is a common place for people to dump dogs.

Apologies if this has been said already but I raise peafowl because I enjoy watching things grow. I realized that not to long ago while gardening. In the context of peafowl I enjoy buying that uninspiring 4-6 month old bird/pair/trio and watching them change into full adults. I keep ornamental pheasants as well for the same reason. I guess it sounds kind of weird but I think of each of my birds as a work of art with the goal being to make them look and produce their best. The challenge of bringing the birds to that point is the interesting part for me. Some of it's genetics, some of it's diet, and some of it is just the kind of X factor that a little tlc grants.

I'm now realizing that my grumpiness may have made it sound like I was asking this/these questions in a "what the heck are you thinking" kind of way. Hopefully that's not the way it was interpreted. I'm hoping there are some positives to keeping peafowl, other than getting to look at the beautiful train feathers on the males. As the days go on, I'm starting to think that our stray peahen's owner might not speak up and then I'll have to decide what direction to go. I've seen a lot of nasty posts on other sites about people keeping peafowl as pets. Owners who are too frustrated with their birds saying they're not worth the trouble and refusing to catch them and bring them back home. Neighbors getting mad about peafowl getting loose and threatening to shoot them. I'm honestly quite shocked and saddened that people are that heartless. This peahen that we're looking after is surprisingly sweet and seems quite smart. Like last night it was getting close to dark and she kept looking at the tree she's been roosting in like she wanted to go to "bed", but our birds were still out so she kept walking around her yard. When we went to put our birds to bed, said "night night time", the chickens and ducks all ran into their respective houses, and the peahen walked over to her tree and flew up to her favorite branch. We were really surprised that she was paying attention to the routines here well enough that she stayed on the ground longer than she appeared to want to. She had gone up to her branch a good hour before our birds went to bed the night before.

So, based on our very limited experience with this one peahen, I feel like there has to be some stuff to put on the "pros" side of a pros and cons list. But then again, maybe she's just being on her best behavior and tricking us. ;)
You will have to get her a buddy so she’s not alone

Apologies if this has been said already but I raise peafowl because I enjoy watching things grow. I realized that not to long ago while gardening. In the context of peafowl I enjoy buying that uninspiring 4-6 month old bird/pair/trio and watching them change into full adults. I keep ornamental pheasants as well for the same reason. I guess it sounds kind of weird but I think of each of my birds as a work of art with the goal being to make them look and produce their best. The challenge of bringing the birds to that point is the interesting part for me. Some of it's genetics, some of it's diet, and some of it is just the kind of X factor that a little tlc grants.
That doesn't sound weird at all! It sounds similar to the "why" behind my surplus of gardenia plants. I used to have terrible luck with plants and then for some reason a few years ago I decided to try rooting some cuttings from my gardenias and to my surprise they took root. So, being the dummy that I am, I decided to try to root more and they rooted too. By the end of the summer I had over 200 baby gardenia plants, a dozen hydrangeas, a few azaleas, and some Rose of Sharon. :lol: My true joy is ducks though. The first time I had a duckling follow me around the house, the sound of those little webbed feet slapping the floor and that adorable little face. :love Every year I find myself wanting to hatch some eggs to see what fun mixes of colors and markings I might get but tell myself I can't because I have too many ducks already. Sure, I could give away/sell some ducklings...but I know myself well enough to know that probably wouldn't happen.

That doesn't sound weird at all! It sounds similar to the "why" behind my surplus of gardenia plants. I used to have terrible luck with plants and then for some reason a few years ago I decided to try rooting some cuttings from my gardenias and to my surprise they took root. So, being the dummy that I am, I decided to try to root more and they rooted too. By the end of the summer I had over 200 baby gardenia plants, a dozen hydrangeas, a few azaleas, and some Rose of Sharon. :lol: My true joy is ducks though. The first time I had a duckling follow me around the house, the sound of those little webbed feet slapping the floor and that adorable little face. :love Every year I find myself wanting to hatch some eggs to see what fun mixes of colors and markings I might get but tell myself I can't because I have too many ducks already. Sure, I could give away/sell some ducklings...but I know myself well enough to know that probably wouldn't happen.
Sounds like those cuttings are a good way to make a little extra money. There are alot of garden centers by me but I get quite a few customers buying my cuttings and plants because I'm much cheaper ha. Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies besides peafowl of course lol.

Sounds like those cuttings are a good way to make a little extra money. There are alot of garden centers by me but I get quite a few customers buying my cuttings and plants because I'm much cheaper ha. Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies besides peafowl of course lol.
I wish I could figure out how to sell my plants! I gave some away through a plant exchange group but selling is something I'm just not good at. So I'm stuck moving pots of plants around still. Plants and duck eggs are things I should probably learn how to sell. My brother recently told me I should sell duck eggs because they're going for $9/dozen. I'm getting close to 2 dozen a day and they usually just get cooked and fed to the animals.

I wish I could figure out how to sell my plants! I gave some away through a plant exchange group but selling is something I'm just not good at. So I'm stuck moving pots of plants around still. Plants and duck eggs are things I should probably learn how to sell. My brother recently told me I should sell duck eggs because they're going for $9/dozen. I'm getting close to 2 dozen a day and they usually just get cooked and fed to the animals.
We have a flea market/animal swap monthly in my state where people sell all kinds of homemade/homestead goods. Honey, herbal soaps, house plants, garden plants, farm fresh eggs, chicks/ducklings/goslings/poults/ peachicks etc, and lots of hand crafts. It's pretty cool and I am thinking of doing a booth there next year.

Back
Top Bottom