Why soy free?? (And the effects of soy)

Do you really think a GMO anything is going to digest better than a natural non-GMO seed?

"A new study pinpoints three variations of GM corn (maize) as being linked to organ damage in mammals.

The three varieties in question are Mon 810, Mon 863, and NK 603. The "Mon" is for, you guessed it, Monsanto and the NK is also a Monsanto product, being engineered for herbicide tolerance. The study was conducted by the Committee of Research and Information on Genetic Engineering (CRIIGEN) and the Universities of Caen and Rouen in France.1

The study used the same data that was used by Monsanto to gain approval in several parts of the world. The data was released publicly in 2005 by European authorities when the three GM strains were approved for human consumption in both the U.S. and Europe.

Gilles-Eric Seralini, a molecular biologist at the University of Caen and one of the principals in the study, says that the data "clearly underlines adverse impacts on kidneys and liver, the dietary detoxifying organs, as well as different levels of damages to heart, adrenal glands, spleen and haematopoietic system.""
http://www.naturalnews.com/027931_GMO_crops_organ_damage.html

Quote:
But Napa grape vineyards do not harm the natural environment do they? I love the way enviromentalists selectively choose their victims.

I don't get it. Are you under the impression that I somehow represent and/or advocate for the Napa Valley wine industry?
hmm.png

heh, we were just talking about soy over here.
smile.png

No I don't think you represent the wine industry. I just don't understand how someone can complain about the rain forest when the state's environment they live in is in shambles. I lived 5 years in the bay area and the destruction to the environment was mind boggling, especially along the coastal areas. I'm just saying clean up your own yard before you complain about your neighbors.

Quote:
I don't get it. Are you under the impression that I somehow represent and/or advocate for the Napa Valley wine industry?
hmm.png

heh, we were just talking about soy over here.
smile.png

No I don't think you represent the wine industry. I just don't understand how someone can complain about the rain forest when the state's environment they live in is in shambles. I lived 5 years in the bay area and the destruction to the environment was mind boggling, especially along the coastal areas. I'm just saying clean up your own yard before you complain about your neighbors.

First, it's disingenuous to infer that voicing a concern about one problem indicates disregard or lack of concern for another. Second, if this biosphere is like a body, then, it has many serious and advancing environmental diseases needing attention and intervention.

Back to the topic of soy.

Quote:
Here is the abstract from a research trial with a GMO corn that clearly shows a digestibility advantage compared to a non-GMO corn.

We conducted two studies to determine the bioavailability and apparent digestibility of P in a low-phytate corn hybrid (.28% total P, .10% phytate P) genetically modified to be homozygous for the 1pa1-1 allele and a nearly isogenic corn hybrid (normal) (.25% total P, .20% phytate P). Additionally, we conducted an in vitro assay involving a peptic and pancreatin digestion to estimate P availability. The first study used 50 individually penned pigs (initial body weight 9 kg) and 10 treatments in a randomized complete block design. A cornstarch-soybean meal basal diet (.6% Ca, .2% P) was used. Treatments consisted of the basal diet and the basal diet plus .05, .10, or .15% P from monosodium phosphate (MSP), low-phytate corn, or normal corn. After a 35-d feeding period, pigs were killed to collect the fourth metacarpal for measurements of ash and breaking load. Breaking load was regressed on added P intake, and the bioavailability of P was determined by the slope ratio method. The bioavailabilities of P (relative to MSP) for low-phytate and normal corn were 62 and 9%, respectively. These were similar to the determined in vitro values of 57 and 11% for low-phytate and normal corn, respectively. In the second study, 20 pigs (initial BW 20 kg) were used in a randomized complete block design with a 2 x 2 factorial arrangement of treatments. Two corn lines (low-phytate and normal) and two levels of supplemental P (0 and .2%) from dicalcium phosphate were used. Diets with no added P were formulated to contain .9% lysine, .6% Ca, and .34% P. Apparent nutrient digestibilities were calculated from total collection of urine and feces for 5 d. There were no differences among treatments for energy and nitrogen digestibility. Pigs fed low-phytate corn with no added P had increased digestibility and retention of P and reduced total P excretion (P < .05). We conclude that low-phytate corn contains at least five times as much available P as normal corn. The use oflow-phytate corn greatly reduced the amount of P excreted by the pig and increased the N
tongue.png
ratio in the manure.

However, the current GMO events used commercially are not intended to improve feeding characteristics rather they are used to improve agronomic traits. These events allow for the use of LESS insecticides and herbicides. Ironically the Bt event allows the plant to produce the SAME toxin that is allowed for use as a pesticide in Organic crop production.

Jim

I have never read a thread on any topic that was as filled with misinformation and outright lies and innuendoes as this one. Soy is not a perfect food, but neither is it a poison. And, the Roundup ready technology has allowed farmers to replace dozens of chemicals that were far more toxic than roundup could ever be. There seems to be a certain group that is against any kind of technological advances and improvements of any kind, and these people will believe anything negative that they can find. Not only that, but they seem highly motivated to spread these lies and false information to anyone who is gullible enough to listen to them.

Quote:

First, it's disingenuous to infer that voicing a concern about one problem indicates disregard or lack of concern for another. Second, if this biosphere is like a body, then, it has many serious and advancing environmental diseases needing attention and intervention.

Back to the topic of soy.

Your right, sorry. I'm venting my frustration with California politicians in the wrong place and at the wrong people.
However, I will say that most of the biospheres' problems can be attributed to over population. Even this debate on GMO crops can be attributed to an ever increasing population and the need to keep up with food demand.

Having been indoctrinated in the "overpopulation" scare as I grew up...
It was nonsense 30 years ago. It is nonsense now. The tie to eugenics is frightening. Look very carefully at your sources for the over population claim.

"The Population Bomb was a best-selling book written by Paul R. Ehrlich in 1968. It warned of the mass starvation of humans in 1970's and 1980s due to overpopulation and advocated immediate action to limit population growth. The book also popularized the previously coined term, population bomb.[1] The book has been criticized in recent decades for its alarmist tone and unfilled predictions."

Quote:
none of us are suggesting that what we believe be taken as fact simply because we believe it. i think it's up to everyone to share what they know, encourage others to educate themselves, and then for each of us to make our own decisions based on that information.

i, for one, know first hand that soy is NOT good for people with thyroid problems, having suffered from it for the past 15 years. my medications were never effective enough and regulating my hormone levels was impossible. almost as soon as i eliminated soy from my diet, at my doctors request, my natural hormone levels improved and my medications started actually do what they were supposed to do. that was enough for me.

as i said, i work in 3rd world countries and have direct contact with farmers who were feed the lie of the Monsanto Dream. not only have Round-Up ready seeds destroyed the local markets surrounding seed exchange, natural fertilizers, and diversified farming (which is what really sustains these communities), it has also failed to deliver on it's promised "bountiful harvests." it turns out that Monsanto's products are really only effective here in the states where they can be closely monitored and intensively managed. that does not lead to feeding the world. that leads to feeding Monsanto's bank accounts while we peddle Coke and Doritos to the masses.

technological advances and improvements are SPECTACULAR. i'm a big, big fan of Dean Kamen and his work on water purifiers. i'm a huge supporter of energy advancements. but it is small-minded to think that genetically modifying a soybean to be resistant to a poison, and in the process destroying actual farmers, is the only thing that can be considered advances and improvements.

it all comes back to the original question: why not soy? if there are other ways to get what soy offers without the problems associated with soy, then why should we take the risk? i am not willing to do so. others might be. that's a call for them to make. Monsanto and others argue AGAINST the sharing of information (they argued to not have to inform us that food is GMO or cloned- and they won). that seems underhanded and like they have something to hide. if i have information that i think will help someone, i'm sharing it. if they don't want to believe it, that is their right.

Global warming, climate change, mini-ice age....... soy..... it all depends on who you choose to listen to.

Since I started this thread I have been reading up on the pro's and con's of soybeans. Pretty close to 50/50 for/against. Of course as many know, the pro's are from the seed companies and the con's from activist-type groups (there is also equal amounts of pro/con medical info too). Who knows. I seem to do fine on soy (although I hate pre-fab burgers that taste like a bean), I don't think the long term damage will be worse for me that working in a body shop my whole life
hmm.png

Thanks again for everyone's input. We should possibly let this one go to bed. I really don't want anyone taking their beliefs to the point of getting angry with others. In the grand scheme of things we all get along and help each other out. I would prefer to keep it that way
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom