Wild Birds *Caught* in Run....

Smuvers Farm

Melvin Up the Taterhole
Feb 16, 2017
TN/Western KY Border
We're finding wild birds in our run. Our run has 1/4 inch hardware cloth walls, and bird netting on top. This is what I found yesterday, although it WAS NOT tangled up in the netting until I went to feed the chickens, and it was trying to *escape* from me: Pic by P.I.C.

20180118_111204.jpg

We have a maybe 12 inch slit in the netting, where the door opens, that they are possibly probably getting in through. I had planned on repairing it... however, I have a few questions.

Should we repair it? We have no problems with the wild birds getting some of the chickens feed... but should we block the run off and toss feed somewhere else? If that's where they are getting in from, can they find their way out the same way?

There are currently 3 wild birds that I can see in the run. If blocking off, should I wait until they get out? Catch them? I'm really at a loss when it comes to wild birds.

Last edited:
We're finding wild birds in our run. Our run has 1/4 inch hardware cloth walls, and bird netting on top. This is what I found yesterday, although it WAS NOT tangled up in the netting until I went to feed the chickens, and it was trying to *escape* from me: Pic by P.I.C.

View attachment 1240622

We have a maybe 12 inch slit in the netting, where the door opens, that they are possibly probably getting in through. I had planned on repairing it... however, I have a few questions.

Should we repair it? We have no problems with the wild birds getting some of the chickens feed... but should be block the run off and toss feed somewhere else? If that's where they are getting in from, can they find their way out the same way?

There are currently 3 wild birds that I can see in the run. If blocking off, should I wait until they get out? Catch them? I'm really at a loss when it comes to wild birds.
You really don't want them in your run. They can carry Mereks in. If you want to feed them, do so at a distance from your coop where your birds won't range. Shoo them out and fix up the gap.
Good work on the pictures, Partner In Chickens!

In my pen I keep them out. The last wild bird that got in had a heck of a time getting back out: I finally had to lock up the chickens and open up the door to the pen.

I agree with the others, it's not just that they eat your feed (which can get expensive) but they also carry disease and parasites. If you are able to keep them out, I'd say go for it.

In my pen I keep them out. The last wild bird that got in had a heck of a time getting back out: I finally had to lock up the chickens and open up the door to the pen.

I agree with the others, it's not just that they eat your feed (which can get expensive) but they also carry disease and parasites. If you are able to keep them out, I'd say go for it.
X2

I stopped feeding wild birds when I got chickens,
don't want to attract them to my yard,
both because they are feed stealing parasite carriers,
but also because feeding wild birds can attract hawks.

I see birds in my two runs all the time. They eat the food that the chickens don't eat. Sometimes the chickens will run them off.

I'm looking in to aviary netting to cover the run.

Try covering it better. Is the top covered?

View attachment 1240622

Should we repair it? We have no problems with the wild birds getting some of the chickens feed... but should we block the run off and toss feed somewhere else? If that's where they are getting in from, can they find their way out the same way?

Back
Top Bottom