wild birds hanging out

djswett

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Bend, OR.
Hello, good morning,
I live in central Oregon, the high desert. My flock is happy, waiting for warmer days, just like the rest of us…
Today I was noticing that there are quite a bit of little birds (8?) hanging around in the trees that grow in the chicken run. They even scoop down and sometimes walk around close to the chickens; nobody seems to mind.
The question is: should i be worried about those wild little spring birds bringing disease to our flock? Do i reallly need to put a roof over the run? The hens sleep inside a safe coop inside the run, so predators are for the most part not an issue, but I'm not sure about letting the girls mingle with the 'wild side'…

Peeeeace, 'B.

There are all kinds of birds mingling with my flock. Doves, sparrows, red wing blackbirds, No problems so far. I do worry the sparrows will try and nest in the hen house and then I'll have mite problems. but so far so good.

Please be aware that wild birds carry mites/lice, fowl pox, different types of worms and their eggs in their droppings and probably other things that can be passed to our chickens. I just got through dealing with tapeworms and I know the vector were wrens coming into the chicken pen and eating the chicken feed leaving their droppings.

Back
Top Bottom