Wild goose with damaged leg - can she recover?

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Hi poultry pals!

Every year some wild greylag geese nest by the large pond on my parents' property and this year is no different. There are various geese here at the moment but one pair with a brood of 7 and the female has a damaged leg, she will not bear weight. Here is a video: https://streamable.com/y8jzyt

The brood hatched sometime around 27th April and the mama had this leg injury before, we don't know what caused it. She hops very successfully as you can see and she swims OK too, but of course she wobbles around and tires easily. It seems to me like the damage is in the hock - can they get dislocated? Her leg appears somewhat twisted.

Absolutely no chance of us getting that close to her, she is very much a wild goose and caring for her brood, so we leave her alone. I am just wondering if she will survive this and whether she'll be able to fly off later in the year! I know leg injuries can take a very long time to heal though.

Thanks for any opinions! We could report it to an animal charity but I am not sure they would ever manage to catch her anyhow.

She might've twisted it or something....It might get better but it also might not. She'll probably be able to fly if she can push off the ground good enough...It would honestly be best for a wildlife rehab ( or a poultry vet ) to come and pick her up to help. It might be dangerous to leave her like that. She can get more easily hurt by a predator and not be able to fight one off, either if it's hurting her or her babies.

Thanks for your thoughts @IvysAnimals. She has actually started touching the foot to the ground ever so slightly after the last day or two, not putting any weight on it but definitely putting it down a little more than before, so I am hopeful it might start to mend. Will speak to some local charities for more advice.

Back
Top Bottom