Wild Turkey Hen Adopted Us

We have a wild turkey hanging around our flock (chickens and muscovies), too. We are in the country so it really doesn't bother us. We were going to let her come and go as she pleases. My only concern is disease? Can she infect the flock with anything I need to worry about?

We have a wild turkey hanging around our flock (chickens and muscovies), too. We are in the country so it really doesn't bother us. We were going to let her come and go as she pleases. My only concern is disease? Can she infect the flock with anything I need to worry about?
From what I've read is that the turkeys are more likely to get diseases from chickens or ducks than the other way around. I am always worried about the wild turkeys (especially the toms) becoming aggressive to either whoever is the animals' caretaker because it is "protecting" its newly adopted flock or attack the chickens or ducks because it was only in it for the free meal or territory.

How about setting up a comfy (for a wild turkey anyhow) nesting area for her near the old shed where she laid the first egg for you? If you are willing to take this on feed her separate from your flock near the nest area and provide water there for her too. Sort of like giving her a specific area without enclosing her. Let her feel safe and secure in her own spot to brood her poults. I'm betting that is why she went to your property. After her babies hatch wean her from your extra care by giving less and less food over time. I'm betting she'll return to her wild territory and is just looking for protection to brood. I usually see a mate standing guard around a brooding wild hen and maybe she doesn't get one since she's been injured?

How about setting up a comfy (for a wild turkey anyhow) nesting area for her near the old shed where she laid the first egg for you? If you are willing to take this on feed her separate from your flock near the nest area and provide water there for her too. Sort of like giving her a specific area without enclosing her. Let her feel safe and secure in her own spot to brood her poults. I'm betting that is why she went to your property. After her babies hatch wean her from your extra care by giving less and less food over time. I'm betting she'll return to her wild territory and is just looking for protection to brood. I usually see a mate standing guard around a brooding wild hen and maybe she doesn't get one since she's been injured?
I seriously thought about doing this but the problem is I cannot "make her safe" where she is, I could move her to where the rabbit house is (it also has a small fenced in run) put her food and water there and see what she does.. I also thought that she is just looking for a place to brood and told my husband once done she may leave on her own...I have a few hens that have decided that where she lays her eggs is a good place to lay and they add their eggs daily to the turkeys...

Your first mistake was call a government agency and expecting a reasonable answer. Do whatever you want. You have no idea where this turkey came from and are being a good citizen by giving it a home if it wants to stay. Rely on your own instincts and you will be fine. This type of thing has been happening long before there was a government and will continue forever.

Your first mistake was call a government agency and expecting a reasonable answer.  Do whatever you want.  You have no idea where this turkey came from and are being a good citizen by giving it a home if it wants to stay.  Rely on your own instincts and you will be fine.  This type of thing has been happening long before there was a government and will continue forever.  

Yep Mountain Man you are right.
We the people are the government.

No but the lady could not give me assurance that if my tom were to mate with her the resulting poults may or may not be in violation of whatever law they want it to be. we are hunters and avid outdoors people, I wont do anything to jeopardized that nor will I raise anything that may come back later and be a "fine" .. No thanks, I tried but this lone Turkey hen is not worth the risk involved in keeping her... Were I NOT raising Turkeys it wouldn't be a big deal.

Kind of dumb that although my Tom can mate her and she can raise the poults where she chooses I would not be allowed to clip their wings and call them mine.. Kind of pointless to spend that much money on feed and such and not be able to harvest or sell what I have spent so much on..
Who would know if you did it?

Back
Top Bottom