Wildlife Photography

1713469588802.png

Elk

1000007122.jpg

Caribou.
Comparing to @Melky's photo, what I'm seeing is the large, backward arch of the antlers. Also the lack of the dark cape, which may just mean the animal is female. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I could certainly be wrong. I often am!

Im sorry the pdf image loaded and mine you have to download to see. I will try to load jpeg. I think you will be able to see them without downloading then. It is a turtle coming out of his shell, a groundhog, a tom turkey below the flag, and elk in Alaska.
Nice images! Thanks for posting. That last one looks like a caribou. You can tell by his "shovel" that sticks out. Elk do not have those...

Screenshot_20240418_144757_Chrome.jpg

T049A1 (Noah) a marine mammal killer whale (Orcinus orca) travelling with his brother along the coast of Spieden Island in the Salish Sea, Washington, USA. This photo was taken on April 26th, 2024.

View attachment 3814794
Lovely.

I have soooo many questions! Not about the photo, more about your orca knowledge.

How can you ID this as Noah from just the dorsal and part of the body markings? You have to have been doing this for a while? Or are you googling furiously to ID them after you get shots?

How often do you spend time with the transients?

Do you branch out into other cetaceans and marine mammals or are orcas your thing?

Is this a hobby/obsession or a job/obsession?

Lovely.

I have soooo many questions! Not about the photo, more about your orca knowledge.

How can you ID this as Noah from just the dorsal and part of the body markings? You have to have been doing this for a while? Or are you googling furiously to ID them after you get shots?

How often do you spend time with the transients?

Do you branch out into other cetaceans and marine mammals or are orcas your thing?

Is this a hobby/obsession or a job/obsession?

Hi!

All orcas can be ID'd based on the notches on their dorsal fin and saddle patch shape/marks! I am marine mammal scientist, specializing in long-finned pilot whales and northern bottlenose whales, but do enjoy seeing all species - so this is old hat for me! This particular population of orcas is only just under 400 individuals, so it's not too hard to learn their ID's, where as the pilots I work with are about 4000 individuals and it's much harder! I see this particular population of orcas a few times a year (more now that I am back living on the west coast after a decade in Eastern Canada).

Back
Top Bottom