will a 9yo dog be willing to change food?***update***

mommy9994

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
central VA
I have a basset/beagle, Sparkie. He had not been happy with his food, and I finally found one that he'll eat (he still prefers layer feed:rolleyes:) and I'm happy with the ingredients and price (it is one of the Diamond foods). Last week, we were Doxi sitting for MIL. It looks like Roxi Doxi is going to be comming back to live with us. MIL has never really liked her, I think the only reason she got her was because her friend had a daschund:rolleyes:. She's not mistreated her, but she's never been loved:( Dh has finally convinced her to let her come here:D (he's been trying for years!)

Anyhow, she eats Purina little bites-- which is puke! I read the ingredients, it's corn, wheat, soy, and then more corn:rolleyes:. Besides that, it's MORE expensive than the lamb and rice based food. SO, my question, how hard is it to switch a 9yo dog over?

Last edited:
Do this. Mix about 1/4 of the new food to 3/4 of the old food. If she eats all that, the next day mix it 50/50. Keep adding new food to the old food gradually until that's all she's eating.

Edited to add: I wish I had your signature as a bumper sticker!!

Last edited:
so you think she'll change over ok? I knew I would have to do it gradual, but didn't know if she would be overly "set" at her age. She's also very tiny-- she's not supposed to be a mini, but she is the size of a mini-- her littermates grew to be 5 or 6 x her size!

I wish I had it as a bumper sticker too LOL

Our dogs change food on a regular basis as they need or decide. Dogs are dogs... they love to eat... why wouldn't they change? They steal table scraps just fine...
wink.png

Get her on some decent food for sure.

Do what the previous people have mentiononed (gradual food change- even by 1/8 cup a day due to her age and because she is so small). Keep in mind that many foods by that and other similar brands have added sugars and other additives that are addictive, and although they are very bad for the dog's health, do taste yummy to many dogs.
hmm.png
So she may want to refuse the new food thinking that if she holds out she can get the "good" (nasty) stuff. No dog will starve themself so just be sure to be the more persistent one and don't give up! Adding warm water can sometimes help if you have a problem. Many children would eat just McDonalds every day too, but it is our responsibility to put our foot down in order to keep them healthy!
smile.png
Good luck on the switch.

My dog is 9 and I switched over her food last fall. I mixed in some of the new food gradually over a 2 week period till it was all new. No problems.

If you have a lot of problems getting her to eat the new food (dogs can be stubborn too) you could try drizzling a bit of canned tuna or chicken juice over it, or some broth of some sort. Anything that makes food "smelly" is bound to increase interest in it. After a few days of bribing her into eating the new food, you will be able to quit that and have her eating it dry. Good luck! Hope you don't have a stubborn pup.

Back
Top Bottom