Will cats kill chickens?

imho. I think it depends on the cat. Most will not bother full grown standard birds, even barn cats prefer mice to angry hens. Nearly everyone on here will tell you not to worry about it, they'll adjust and be ok. But, I brought home the most beautiful calico barn cat from a stable, they just gave her to me, and the next day she began stalking the chickens, that very sneaky stalk of the cat that lives only by it's wits. I soon realized that she was patient and would wait till the birds were asleep, like when they dust bath, and then pounce. Now, perhaps one time with an angry hen would have cured her, but I was not going to wait and find out. Especially because of my bantys. And this cat was freefed all the quality cat food she could hold. Nope, I took her back.

It is a natural instinct for a cat to eat a bird however, that would be chicks and juveniles before adult birds. Adults are just to big for most cats to mess with.

I believe it depends on the individual cat, however, I would trust no cat with chicks or juveniles unsupervised.

My chickens boss my cats around the yard! Usually they all hang around together under the big lilac tree, but occasionally, I'll see a cat scurrying across the yard with a chicken waddling after it. One good peck on the noggin is enough to teach my kitties who is boss! My roo especially lets it be known when it is "chickens only" time!

Hah! Those mangy alley cats my wife feeds used to spend hours staring at my chicks through the wire. When they were eight weeks old, I turned them loose in the backyard. The rooster sent all of them packing. He owns the backyard now.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom