Will chickens use a doggie door?

RoyalCoopMom

Songster
6 Years
Feb 13, 2015
St Louis
We are planning for 4 laying chickens this spring and building our first coop. The coop is 6'x 3.5' with 2 nest boxes hanging outside to maximize space. we will have a 5'x8' run both predator proof. Can I get away without locking the door at night and if so can I train the chickens to navigate a flexible, clear plastic doggie door? Is this enough room for 4 chickens?

Chickens should be able to use a dog door, given that it is lightweight. The only thing I would do would be to leave it slightly propped open for the first week or so until they get used to pushing it open.

Don't know about a pet door, but a clear sheet of a vinyl that is cut into inch wide strips and affixed above the pop door has been shown to greatly slow down the elements. I've to get this type of pass through system on my own coops.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

If you go to the website www.chickenfountain.com they sell a product called "Coop Tight Automatic Poultry Door Covers." It is made to cover the pop door with plastic strips and is very easy to install on your coop. The owner of this small business is located in North Carolina and can ship his product to you.

Back
Top Bottom