Will Coturnix hatch out their own eggs?

Berlena

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Near Disneyland!
I am wondering if anyone lets a quail hen nest and raise their own chicks? I am a brand new owner of 3 wild colored Coturnix hens. I am thinking of getting a cock later on so that I can get fertile eggs but I wonder if quail can raise their own au natural?

I did try to search the info with no luck!

Berlena from California

Coturnix have been domesticated for so long that natural brooding instinct is mostly gone....mostly.

I am lucky enough to own a crazy hen that hatched out a few chicks. Now only 1 made it to adulthood, but it was her first time and our weather was not helpful. If she tries to hatch out more in spring I will let her
big_smile.png

No. Not usually. On rare occasions a coturnix quail will go broody. This is not common, though. It's pretty much a necessity to hatch coturnix eggs in an incubator.

Quote:
really??? bobwhite or coturnix??? i saw some posts on here about a broody coturnix but its very rare... ive got over 100 hens and had 1 that acted like she was going to set but never did...

Oh Bummer
sad.png
I just got 6 Coturnix Quail & was hoping they / or 1 would sit on eggs ? I do not have an incubator ~~~~ What type of incubator do U need for those tiny eggs ??
Thank You:)

Quote:
This brings me 2 wonder, if they do not go broody, how do they raise their young in the wild ?? That's if there R any left in the wild ~~ Thank U

Quote:
Well.........I would recommend a fully automated incubator like my King Suro-20 BUT....... If you have a reliable Hovabator with fan and an auto-turner, order quail rails and go for it
lol.png

Ok.. So U say , U need a special additive of some sort for the incubator for the Quail eggs ??

I was so hoping a hen would sit on the eggs ~
Ok then ~~ to order a incubator & just what kind ? suggestions ??

These R my very 1st Quails & I have been into chickens 4 just 1 1/2 yrs. so I am a Newbee...

Thank U

What we raise are the Japanese Coturnix, Coturnix japonica. There were cases of some in Hawaii but they were washed away, I do not believe there are any in the wild anymore. The Chinese Blue Breasted "Button" quail (Excalfactoria chinesis) are on the verge of dissipating in nature because China is building so many buildings over their habitat. It was noticed that when given enough "natural" habitat, the Coturnix could set and brood their own young. However, the Coturnix have become somewhat of a laboratory bird since they can mature rapidly and their eggs contain very specific protein that helps us make vaccines, skin creams, etc..

Back
Top Bottom