Will Coturnix hatch out their own eggs?

Quote:
Well.........I would recommend a fully automated incubator like my King Suro-20 BUT....... If you have a reliable Hovabator with fan and an auto-turner, order quail rails and go for it
lol.png

Coturnix have been domesticated for so long that natural brooding instinct is mostly gone....mostly.

I am lucky enough to own a crazy hen that hatched out a few chicks. Now only 1 made it to adulthood, but it was her first time and our weather was not helpful. If she tries to hatch out more in spring I will let her
big_smile.png

Ok.. So U say , U need a special additive of some sort for the incubator for the Quail eggs ??

I was so hoping a hen would sit on the eggs ~
Ok then ~~ to order a incubator & just what kind ? suggestions ??

These R my very 1st Quails & I have been into chickens 4 just 1 1/2 yrs. so I am a Newbee...

Thank U

What we raise are the Japanese Coturnix, Coturnix japonica. There were cases of some in Hawaii but they were washed away, I do not believe there are any in the wild anymore. The Chinese Blue Breasted "Button" quail (Excalfactoria chinesis) are on the verge of dissipating in nature because China is building so many buildings over their habitat. It was noticed that when given enough "natural" habitat, the Coturnix could set and brood their own young. However, the Coturnix have become somewhat of a laboratory bird since they can mature rapidly and their eggs contain very specific protein that helps us make vaccines, skin creams, etc..

Quote:
OOO ~ Awesome. I have not read alot, but I am working on my reading & updates . I was " SO " hoping not 2 have 2 get an incubator . Not sure if there is a market 4 them up here in the north country, so I surely do not want to smother myself with them either.. I only want 2 hatch what mayB wanted.
Thank U so 4 replying. The info is so so much appreciated & needed...
smile.png

If you are only wanting to hatch a few eggs, you could get a Brinsea Mini Advance. I think they are about $115 or $120 if ordered directly from Brinsea. You would also need to spend $20 for the quail egg turner. This particular incubator only holds 12 eggs. It would not be useful for you if you wanted to hatch eggs to have birds for meat. It would probably be enough if you just wanted to keep enough replacements for pets and for producing eggs.

Others will have to help you with info on larger incubators. (Brinsea does have larger incubators but I am not familiar with the specific models. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance since my birds are pets/egg producers. I don't eat meat so don't need large numbers of birds.)

I think they are about $115 or $120 if ordered directly from Brinsea.

ep.gif

That's a lot of money for a couple of eggs. When we were looking at hatching a itty bitty flock we looked at these guys LD-INCUBAT It says you have to turn the eggs and adjust the temp 3-4 times a day, but that wouldn't have been too big a deal for us. Has anyone tried these before? at $20 it seems much more economical for a small hatching.

BE-INCUBAT.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
ep.gif

That's a lot of money for a couple of eggs. When we were looking at hatching a itty bitty flock we looked at these guys LD-INCUBAT It says you have to turn the eggs and adjust the temp 3-4 times a day, but that wouldn't have been too big a deal for us. Has anyone tried these before? at $20 it seems much more economical for a small hatching.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/images/650/BE-INCUBAT.jpg

lelu, no, you don't want that incubator. Those are REALLY bad incubators. You will be lucky to hatch much of anything ever in one of those.

There are other options that cost a lot less than the Brinsea. Other folks will have to help you with those, though. I can tell you that those of us with the Brinsea really like them. THey are considered very reliable.

You are correct, though. If you are only wanting to do two or three eggs then the Brinsea may not be a good option for you.

Last edited:
Quote:
ep.gif

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/images/650/BE-INCUBAT.jpg

Well, that's defiantly better than a "Broody Coturnix", but not by much.
smile.png
It will work, but it takes work.
If you are handy with power tools, and cost conscious, then I recommend building your own bater. If not, then you are looking at a $150-$200+ investment for a decent incubator.

Back
Top Bottom