Will Kingsley Crow?

antiqsolo

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2016
I recently bought a trio of RIR, two hens and a rooster. Regrettably I didn't ask their age, so I don't know where to even begin id'ing him myself.. I've gotten mixed remarks about whether Kingsley is a roo or a hen, so I figured I'd ask here, since everyone here is so good about answering my noob questions! He's got gorgeous black feathering on his neck and wings and tail, totally unlike my 11 RIR hens. Also, could anyone age him for me? I'm thinking 8-12 weeks, but it would be nice to know when to expect him to start crowing and doing his thing.

8-12 looks to be about right. And I do think he is a male. But he is not a Rhode Island Red, could be a RIR cross but not pure.

He's a mutt alright
lau.gif
I don't mind that though. Just like to call 'em the same as the others. Glad I got the age in the right ballpark! When should I expect to buy earplugs?
lol.png

A hen takes about 21 weeks before they will think about starting to lay. I would not expect a roo to begin to crow before that age, either. Don't worry, in 12 weeks or so, you'll be asking when it will stop

Hard tellin...Some males crow as early as 6 weeks and some never crow. It depends on the bird. I'd say in the next few weeks he should start making some noise. Especially if there are other males around. One purpose of crowing is kind of a challenge/warning to other males. To either coming and try and take my females or better stay away from my girls or you'll get your hind end kicked. Also it is a response to other noises or environment changes, like a car horn, wind in the trees, or feeding time. Like how dogs seem to bark at nothing, just because we didn't hear/see it doesn't mean they didn't.

Thank ya! He's the only boy (I didn't want to deal with the headache of more), but this spring I'll be putting two flocks in a split-pen. One half will hold my RIRs, Kingsley, a bantam RIR, two Australorps and two Silver Laced Wyandottes, and the other will hold Buff Orpingtons - so I have a feeling that Kingsley and whichever BO roo I keep will have many screaming matches, haha.

Back
Top Bottom