Will mosquitoes hurt my...

bamagirl68

Songster
12 Years
Sep 3, 2007
central alabama
baby chicks? They are about 2 weeks and this evening I noticed several around. They may be attracted to the heat lamp I have in my coop. Any thoughts on this anyone?
idunno.gif

When I got my 30 back in July, I kept them outside in a
2 x 8 brooder we built. I had 2 reflector lights on all night
and 1 on in the day time. The front of the box was hardware cloth and bugs went in and out to the light.
The bugs stayed away from the chicks because the chicks would go after them.

And if one happened to catch the intruder, the race was on.

Chickens will catch and eat them before they can bite them, well thats what mine did as they are very fast even when they are babies and Lord help ya if its a hopper the race is on if its a big bug...mosquitos arent really a problem as flies are. Mine just love it when a bug makes its way into the coop or if they see 1 out in the yard.

From what I understand there are two types of fowl pox, wet or dry pox. The wet pox is the worst.
I think that once your chickens get the pox they won't get it again.
We have a bunch of mosquitoes where I live & I've never given mine the vaccine. I have fans in my coops to keep them off of the older chickens while roosting.
bamagirl68, is there anyway you can put them in a brooder at night in their pen? Maybe you can put some screen over the top. That would give a little extra protection from predators especially snakes.

I lock them up tight in my coop at night! And only turn them out in the pen when I am very close by(because of my lab) usually when I am IN the pen with them.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom