Will My Cracked Egg Still Hatch?

Pics
So glad I found this thread. Found a pretty cracked egg (day 13) under my broody today and assumed it was a goner. I grabbed the egg, put it on my back porch, read this thread, and ran inside to grab nail polish. By the time I came back outside, my egg-snatching dog got ahold of it and was munching away - turns out it was a yolker anyways so no harm no foul, although I'm sure that egg didn't taste too fresh, hahaha! I'll know what to do if I find another cracked egg though, thanks everyone!

Can someone PLEASE help! I am on day 20 and my first egg has cracked. I don't see a pip. There is a long crack that seems to be the all the way around the width (NOT Pointy ends), almost as if the chick out grew the egg and is pushing the egg open!

Is this normal? It it okay? Will it harm my chick? Did I do something wrong???

If it is day 20, I would just leave it. If you smell something rotten in the incubator the egg could be rotten and ready to explode. If this is the case, remove it. If they are getting ready to hatch it could be that the chick has broken the egg shell. Are the other chicks pipping at this point?

Hello thought I'd ask if my eggs would hatch too. It's still a day before lockdown and the two that were going to hatch seem to have been caught against eachother and broken. One is broken all down the side and I can see the back of the chick not sure if it's alive but there's no blood. The other is really dented in on the large end but still moving and not leaking. The shells are really fragile not sure what made them so easy to break. They look really bad and I don't hear any peeping but I took the rollers out and put a wet sponge in to get more humidity. Any advice would be much appreciated sorry my pic is bad but I didn't want to mess with them further until I knew what to do

Last edited:
Thank god i found this thread, dropped a maglite on a duck egg earlier at the air cell end and was going to chuck it but thought id check BYC 1st,, little fella is still moving around, still 10 days to go yet tho
1f64f.png

Tape it over so it won't loose humidity. O.0 I did that with mine and it survived to pip it started unzipping early when I dozed off (I tried to stay up all night to pull the tape off when it pipped) and unfortunately couldn't get around the tape :( but it did well keeping the chick from loosing moisture. But as soon as you see signs of hatching peel it off first thing

I used scotch tape and used a few layers to make a good barrier without covering too much of the egg. It worked pretty well. But good luck to you! Hope your little biddie hatches :)

Back
Top Bottom