Will my girls freak out if I remove their normal roost?

surfchicken72

Songster
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Holbrook, Massachusetts
Here's the deal.... I have 1 RIR girl limping....
sad.png
Thought she may have hurt it jumping off the roost...
sad.png

So I built and painted a new ladder roost for them with closer steps.....
BUT I don't want to put that freshly painted roost ladder in there... And I didn't want "limpy" trying to make the jump up tonight, OR down in the AM...
so I completely removed the normal High roost that they use... to remove all temptation to use it.
They still have a lower one, but it's right in front of the 2 big windows.. (ALL hardware cloth
smile.png
)

are they gonna freak out?
tongue.png

more concerned with "Limpy" making the leaps tonight and tomorrow AM
New roost will be installed first thing in the AM.

got about an hour til sundown,, guess I'll see, but just curious...

Thanks..

SurfChicken72

If there is enough room I think they should be fine. I have one that limps, never figured out why. She's been at it for two years and it gets worse in the winter but she makes the jump fine and it's not low. I have had ones with crooked toes, no toes, you name it and eventually they usually get the knack and make the jump just fine. Although I suppose it would depend on the breed. My limper was a rock so it isn't too much different from a RIR.

Last edited:
do you have their wings clipped? Because I would be quite surprised if a hen hurt a leg getting off the roost. They don't weigh that much and they spread their wings to 'fly' down. Mine fly up and down all the time, even the babies. Perhaps something else caused the limp?

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom