Will new chicks lay in winter????

they will probably start laying

be sure to have them on a high % layer feed and plenty of water and ventilation. Also depends on what breeds they are. Some chickens stop laying when it is cold. I know my RIRs mostly all stopped but my BRs layed all winter long.

My pullets (almost the same age as yours) laid all winter. The only extra light I gave them was a heat lamp for several hours in the early morning. I have about 10 different breeds. What breed are yours? That may make a difference. Some lay well thru winters, some don't. You can set them up with a light to mimic longer days; however, they will not get a 'rest' and may peter out sooner.

My chickens layed like crazy their first winter with no extra light added. They were hatched on or about May 22nd of 09. I got my first egg in September and they never stopped. The second winter however production dropped as expected.

Last winter were the girls first and averaged about 6 a day from ten hens and that was in the dead of winter. Up until late Dec was 7/8 a day and by mid Feb they were right back at it. there was 6 wk slow down but no stoppage.

Back
Top Bottom