Will removing Roos help my silkie rooster?

Oct 16, 2017
North Carolina
I have a small flock of Silkies and Polish, confined to large chicken run. We have two cockerels who are always fighting with each other(not with the other roos) over breeding or just in general. They are brothers. We know we have too many roosters and are rehoming one of the brothers and a polish rooster. However we have one rooster who Can't walk very well. He broke a toenail a few months ago, and since it hurt him to walk on the toe, he started to crawl around on his hocks. Since then, that's how he walks. They two brothers like to pick on him, so he's very submissive. Will removing one of them help my problem? I raise silkies for breeding and show, so once I get it settled, the other brother will be seperated from the silkie flock for a few weeks for breeding with a few specific hens, so I won't have as many roosters in the flock at a time, except during fall/winter, when I'll stop breeding completely. The rooster seems happy otherwise, so im not worried about his quality of life. Is there anything I can do to fix his legs or help him? I was thinking of giving him his own coop with one of the non show quality hens as well. He's such a sweet and friendly rooster too... I've had chickens for 6 years, but never had any birds other than chicks with legs problems like him.. would treating it like splayed leg help?

However we have one rooster who Can't walk very well. He broke a toenail a few months ago, and since it hurt him to walk on the toe, he started to crawl around on his hocks. Since then, that's how he walks. They two brothers like to pick on him, so he's very submissive.
I'll let others chime in about with suggestions for fixing your flock drama.
The one that is having a hard time walking, can you post photos of the feet/legs and get a video of him moving around?
What do you feed?
Also how old are they?

Walking on hocks can be a sign of vitamin deficiencies too.
I can't remember offhand the specific vitamin give me a few minutes and I'll find it.

Videos of him will help.

Back
Top Bottom