Will white crested black polish hens have any blue iridescence in feathers? Silver laced?

aapuzzo

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 16, 2016
I have a batch of polish chickens of various colors 11 weeks of age. 3 of the white crest blacks are frizzles and look incredible. They all look almost identical except one has much smaller wattles and they have varying degrees of blue iridescence in some feathers. They all have some blue however. Would a hen have any blue shine to feathers if the light hit them right along the back and sides?

I also have 3 silver laced that look almost the same however 2 are developing white neck feathers. These are roosters I am pretty sure. I think the hens will just have the silver laced feathers all over. Is this correct?

I have a batch of polish chickens of various colors 11 weeks of age. 3 of the white crest blacks are frizzles and look incredible. They all look almost identical except one has much smaller wattles and they have varying degrees of blue iridescence in some feathers. They all have some blue however. Would a hen have any blue shine to feathers if the light hit them right along the back and sides?

I also have 3 silver laced that look almost the same however 2 are developing white neck feathers. These are roosters I am pretty sure. I think the hens will just have the silver laced feathers all over. Is this correct?
Pictures please.

Pictures please.
I could get another picture but didn't want to crawl in there to catch it. Has wattles you can see from side. But the feather length is nowhere near the definite non frizzle rooster behind it.

Attachments

• WhiteCrestBlackFrizzleR.jpg
    WhiteCrestBlackFrizzleR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Either gender can have black feathers that shine various colors when the light hits them right. So the blue sheen is not useful for figuring out which are the males and which are the females.

These are 16 weeks old and I still can't tell the gender of the frizzles. The non frizzle in the photo behind is the same age. None of the feathers on the heads of all 3 frizzles come anywhere near that long even if they were straight. The one with the shorter almost non existent wattles has ever so slightly rounder feathers on it's head. All 3 are the same size.

I think I have 2 roosters and 1 hen. I added the keepers into my main flock yesterday including the one I am pretty sure is a hen. I'm curious to see if their personalities start to change now that there are fewer in the grow out pen. I only want to keep the frizzle hens for the genetic reasons.

Don’t know anything about sexing them but just had to comment the frizzle polish are the cutest I had never seen one til your picture. I’m in ❤️. Might need to get me one. My only polish is my main rooster

Attachments

• 126354BF-709D-483E-B035-8006D1516842.jpeg
    126354BF-709D-483E-B035-8006D1516842.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom