Windows on coop

kirak74

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2017
The coop we have started building has 2 windows on the front. They are one of the most expensive parts of the plan. We live in NC and it doesn't get that cold here in the winters. I'm wondering if we really need glass windows or if we could just frame them out smaller and put hardware cloth over them. Here is a picture of the coop we are building. I'd love thoughts on this. Thanks!

8f96e4502b2f5821dc5a8217fe4d7f42.jpg

I assume that the picture is of a coop you don't have but would like to duplicate. You do not need glass windows in a coop. Screened opening with a fowl weather plywood covering is a suitable option. The plywood can be hinged for easy opening and closing. There are a few cost saving options that you can consider if you still would like windows. Search on Craigs list for Cheap/ Used/or free Windows. You can use Framed Glass from Storm windows that peeps often throw away or give away free. Once you have your glass, than you know the size of opening to make. Just frame out, Insert glass, and use small strips of wood to keep in place. Also consider plexiglas plastic as a possibility if you can get cheap, or free. Search under building materials, and also under free stuff. I know that many peeps do place ads to get rid of excess stuff.
WISHING YOU BEST. and
welcome-byc.gif

Love the coop. I agree with CavemanRich, check Craigslist for windows. I stock pile them when I see them for future projects. You can also make your own windows using 1x2" as frames and plate glass from the hardware store or glass shop. I've done that for both picture windows and sliding windows like shown on your picture.

Post pics of your coop as you build it. We love to see coops in progress!

I Installed 4 windows in my 1st build of my coop. This year I'm almost doubling the footprint. I plan on making 2 similar openings in the new section framed with hardware cloth then I'll hinge 2 storm shutters on each side of the opening . Then the two shutters swing to meet in the middle of the opening and latch. That allows me to only open 1 half the opening or both. Sorry It will be a little while before I have pics but maybe that will make sense.

Scott

shutters sort of like this

I have that coop and I sprang for the windows. Pricy! Not sure I would do that again.
How do you like the coop? Any changes you would make other than the windows? We just have the posts and base done, so we can still adjust some of the details. Thanks!!

I love the coop. It looks great and is working out well. I use three nests for nests. I use the other nesting boxes for their food and water. This maximizes the floor space for when they're waiting to be let out and keeps their water cleaner since it's out of the shavings.

I would have the run be taller for sure
I can barely stand up in it. Totally would do that differently. And make the run bigger. Ours is 8 x 12 and it's working fine for our 8, but I would double or triple the size. I also would do the run door differently.

I love the coop. It looks great and is working out well. I use three nests for nests. I use the other nesting boxes for their food and water. This maximizes the floor space for when they're waiting to be let out and keeps their water cleaner since it's out of the shavings.

I would have the run be taller for sure
I can barely stand up in it. Totally would do that differently. And make the run bigger. Ours is 8 x 12 and it's working fine for our 8, but I would double or triple the size. I also would do the run door differently.
We will definitely make the run taller - my husband already made that a requirement. The only problem is a taller run means the nesting boxes are higher. We might need to build up the ground on either side so I can reach in :)
We also already discussed making the run bigger. We want to free range them some, but if predators become a problem, I'd rather have a larger run already build. I think we are putting the door on the right side corner (not the front like the plans have it). It's closer to our supplies that way.
Thanks for the advice! I'll post a picture when it's finished!

I'm second-guessing not putting actual windows in the scoop. Below is a picture of the coop to date and I'm concerned that the window cut outs are so large that even in temperate North Carolina it might be too much draft and cold if it gets chilly with only hardware cloth and shutters. What do you think? My husband cut them per the plans but I just didn't realize they would be so large.

Back
Top Bottom