wing feathers growing sideways?

I am just starting to look through this thread, and this is interesting. Because one of the sources of niacin is animal products - i.e., meal worms and crickets.

Give me a little while, to catch up.

You've gotten some great advice here, and it's a good thing you asked about this when you did. That's in the top 10 worst cases of twisted wing (also called angel wing) that I've ever seen. Are you able to get duck pellet food? If not, you'll need to improvise as @jducour as outlined. I agree with her that the duckling should have no supplemental protein at all in the near future.

Can you tell us what the living conditions for the duckling are? Lack of exercise contributes to twisted wing, and the duckling should be able to run around freely for a good while every day, and swimming is great exercise for them as well. You'd just need to make sure swimming is closely monitored since ducklings that age can drown if left in water unsupervised.

Also, can you tell us how you're controlling the temperature in the brooder and what the average temperature is? Hot brooders are a contributing factor to this as well.

BTW, welcome to BYC!!! Very glad you're here!
big_smile.png

Thank you thank you thank you so much I really appreciate the help you guys have given to me and I'm really really thankful for your tips and replies ^^ I'm much more relieved that my duck can still be cured and become healthy again and by tomorrow, I'll start binding it and giving it proper diet and vitamins and things it needs because right now, I'm gonna go sleep as it is 11.46pm here. A really big thanks to you guys and I'll be updating to you how the progress is. Once again, thanks!! Oh and right now, my duck is eating carrots with water and it seems to really enjoy it ^^ I went to research and found out that carrots contains niacin inside ^^

Thank you thank you thank you so much I really appreciate the help you guys have given to me and I'm really really thankful for your tips and replies ^^ I'm much more relieved that my duck can still be cured and become healthy again and by tomorrow, I'll start binding it and giving it proper diet and vitamins and things it needs because right now, I'm gonna go sleep as it is 11.46pm here. A really big thanks to you guys and I'll be updating to you how the progress is. Once again, thanks!! Oh and right now, my duck is eating carrots with water and it seems to really enjoy it ^^ I went to research and found out that carrots contains niacin inside ^^
For tomorrow, you might want to look over this-->www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements. It's a pretty comprehensive list. Just remember to disregard for now anything on that list that contains protein, including things like boiled eggs and fish food.

So @Mrwaffleman - I think you have done many things right. Some ducklings do seem to be more prone to certain developmental problems than others, so it looks like your little one is one of the sensitive ducklings. But beautiful!

Some swim time in a tub of lukewarm water (constantly supervised at this young age), so the little can take weight off the legs, and improve circulation is what I would do. Is the feed chick (starter) or adult chicken feed? At this point, regular chicken feed is probably fine, with some additional supplements.

A note about wrapping the wings - please be careful not to cut off circulation. Also, from what I have read, ducks with angel wing can have fine lives. This little one is going to be an indoor pet, so that takes some of the worry out of the situation.

The legs are a bit more of a concern.

If the duckling is indoors much of the time - and I defer to the indoor duck folks here - you may want to supplement just a tad more with vitamin D. @Amykins do you do that for your two? I would definitely think about the Vitamin D connection - since that affects bone growth in humans, I am pretty sure it would also affect ducklings. My dad had rickets (Vitamin D deficiency), by the way. And he turned out okay after that was addressed.
wink.png

I would back off on the protein for now - as they get older, ducklings need less, anyway. I would not stop entirely, actually. Again, niacin is found in animal products. Brewer's yeast is better at providing B vitamins (including niacin, B3) without adding so much protein, so that would be a better source for Bs.

And just keep loving the little! We have a special needs duck who had nutritional problems early on, and the main things we are doing is feeding her as well as we can, and giving her exercise, and companionship and fresh water. Right now she sinks like a rock in water due to her feather condition. But she's with Runners, so she's getting her exercise! She has a wing problem, too, and that may or may not resolve itself. Even if it does not, she's a domestic, not free-ranged, so we are not worried about that. Just saying that in this case, we have a bit in common.

Thanks, all for tagging me.

Last edited:
In a day... it spends most of the time in a cage than walking around my house... and I usually let it swim for once per day. The temperature here is around 29 to 33 degrees celsius. I live in an apartment so we don't really have a yard.

In a day... it spends most of the time in a cage than walking around my house... and I usually let it swim for once per day. The temperature here is around 29 to 33 degrees celsius. I live in an apartment so we don't really have a yard.
Welcome to the Duck Forum! I think you may enjoy the Indoor Duck thread - as I mentioned, @Amykins has experience with them, as do several others. Thinking @Scovy Momma , too.

It is warm where you are!!! You may want to set up some kind of exercise space - nettie had drawn up some plans for a room - but you can get some ideas from her sketches even though I doubt you can dedicate an entire room. With our special girl, we sometimes hold her in a way that lets her flap her wings for a while, for exercise. But she's been so happy lately, she'll just stand up on tiptoes and flap the happy wing flap all by herself.

30's is pretty borderline, but you probably mean that's outdoor temps, not in your apartment? And the cage is in your apartment, correct?

Back
Top Bottom