wing feathers growing sideways?

@JadeComputerGal could you help me understand borderline?
It's hotter than I'd want to have a brooder for a 1.5 month old duckling if the duckling were being kept in a brooder. I wouldn't be supplying supplemental heat at that point, which would mean around 75 F. Sounds like that's not the case here since a cage would mean something fairly open with good airflow. That being said, there are many people in very hot climates who raise their ducklings/ducks completely outdoors. I'm thinking this one is either entirely or almost entirely nutritional, though there can be a genetic predisposition to wing disorders like you pointed out. I'm very glad he caught this one when he did before the duckling got its adult plumage.

hi there james. im rashaun from singapore too. i have a flock of ducks and a few chickens where are you located at in singapore if im near i could come over and help you as i have treated some of these types of ducks before and i can also give you some tips on caring for ducks. is this your first time keeping ducks?

The temperature I gave is outdoor temperature and my duck seldom go outdoors and spend most of the time indoors(should be around room temperature and plus, I do have a lot of fans at home and usually at least 2 of them are always turn on and one of them is at the living room). It walks around my house (from my back balcony, across the kitchen and living room to the other balcony). The cage is in my apartment too.I wrapped the wings already and I want to show you guys how it looks. Did my dad do it correctly? And by the way, is it ok to just feed my duck with fruits and veggie that contains niacin? And is it ok to use niacin made for humans or should I buy the one for pigeons?

hi there james. im rashaun from singapore too. i have a flock of ducks and a few chickens where are you located at in singapore if im near i could come over and help you as i have treated some of these types of ducks before and i can also give you some tips on caring for ducks. is this your first time keeping ducks?
and also i forgot to ask are you keeping almond alone or do you have any other duck friends for him/her

The temperature I gave is outdoor temperature and my duck seldom go outdoors and spend most of the time indoors(should be around room temperature and plus, I do have a lot of fans at home and usually at least 2 of them are always turn on and one of them is at the living room). It walks around my house (from my back balcony, across the kitchen and living room to the other balcony). The cage is in my apartment too.I wrapped the wings already and I want to show you guys how it looks. Did my dad do it correctly? And by the way, is it ok to just feed my duck with fruits and veggie that contains niacin? And is it ok to use niacin made for humans or should I buy the one for pigeons?

Is it too tight? I'll check everyday and take it out every 5 days to see how the progress is. It doesn't seem to quack or tried to remove it. ( It did when my dad wrap it the first time and it even removed it but after the 3rd time, shown in the picture, it is more calm but kept losing its balance and sitting down)

This is my only duck but it has 2 chickens (Silkie and Quail chickens) as its friends but they don't stay in the same cage. (The chickens stays together in a cage while the duck stays in another one).

Is it too tight? I'll check everyday and take it out every 5 days to see how the progress is. It doesn't seem to quack or tried to remove it. ( It did when my dad wrap it the first time and it even removed it but after the 3rd time, shown in the picture, it is more calm but kept losing its balance and sitting down)

That looks like it might be a little too tight. Can you get vet wrap there? That would be easier to use since you can get that in much wider strips than the material you're using. Vet wrap is also stretchy, so it's not as constricting. Since ducks use their wings for balance, it's normal for them to be unsteady when they're wrapped. You can use the pics in the first post in this thread as a guide-->https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/736147/how-to-fix-angel-wing.

You can't feed them just fruits and veggies because those won't contain all the nutrients he needs. He should have a good quality duck feed or all flock feed in addition to his veggies. If you don't have duck feed available, you can sprinkle some Brewer's Yeast on his all flock food.

Really glad you caught this in time!!!

That looks like it might be a little too tight. Can you get vet wrap there? That would be easier to use since you can get that in much wider strips than the material you're using. Vet wrap is also stretchy, so it's not as constricting. Since ducks use their wings for balance, it's normal for them to be unsteady when they're wrapped. You can use the pics in the first post in this thread as a guide-->https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/736147/how-to-fix-angel-wing.

You can't feed them just fruits and veggies because those won't contain all the nutrients he needs. He should have a good quality duck feed or all flock feed in addition to his veggies. If you don't have duck feed available, you can sprinkle some Brewer's Yeast on his all flock food.

Really glad you caught this in time!!!
My dad will try to tie it like the photo again but is it ok do try again after 5 days? Because my dad had a hard time trying to wrap it and his first attempt was to tie it like how https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/736147/how-to-fix-angel-wing done it but my duck was able to take it out. So he decided to try doing it a little different (the one in the pics) and it was more calm and just unbalanced. Can I give it human niacin or I should give it pigeon niacin? and thanks btw! I'll try to get brewer's yeast too.

My dad will try to tie it like the photo again but is it ok do try again after 5 days? Because my dad had a hard time trying to wrap it and his first attempt was to tie it like how https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/736147/how-to-fix-angel-wing done it but my duck was able to take it out. So he decided to try doing it a little different (the one in the pics) and it was more calm and just unbalanced. Can I give it human niacin or I should give it pigeon niacin? and thanks btw! I'll try to get brewer's yeast too.

Brewer's Yeast has niacin, but you can use human niacin. You just want to make sure it's plain, not timed-release or no-flush. And of course fruits and veggies with niacin are great. That little guy needs a whole lot of something other than mega-protein. Just remember you must also get him some feed. Even though he's been on protein overload, he had to continue to have some. He's not going to be well if he gets no protein at all, he just needs it in much lower amounts like he'd get from duck feed.

@Mrwaffleman , do you have an update for us? I've been thinking about your little guy, wondering how he is doing. Please let us know!

Back
Top Bottom