WINTER COOP Minnesota

Well we bought Cochins because they are so winter hardy with the larger body size and feathering all over their legs etc. I am thinking with 10 hens and one rooster, they will huddle in to a ball when it gets cold. I plan to provide very thick hay as bedding (cleaned out every other day as I do now) so they can dig down in it.. and I may even take some bales and just put them in front of their windows to keep the cold out a bit. They have a full vent around the eave and two vents at either end on top and then 2 windows on the south end and one big window on the north. Windows will probably be kept closed during the winter to keep drafts out but the vents will provide more than enough ventilation so moisture wont be a problem. We did not insulate at all. We willl see how the heat is next summer and make a decision on insulation then. They have plenty of shade and will only get the morning sun, so should be ok. I guess we'll have the heat lamp handy and if they need it periodically, we'll have it....but no plans in advance to use it.

Well we bought Cochins because they are so winter hardy with the larger body size and feathering all over their legs etc. I am thinking with 10 hens and one rooster, they will huddle in to a ball when it gets cold. I plan to provide very thick hay as bedding (cleaned out every other day as I do now) so they can dig down in it.. and I may even take some bales and just put them in front of their windows to keep the cold out a bit. They have a full vent around the eave and two vents at either end on top and then 2 windows on the south end and one big window on the north. Windows will probably be kept closed during the winter to keep drafts out but the vents will provide more than enough ventilation so moisture wont be a problem. We did not insulate at all. We willl see how the heat is next summer and make a decision on insulation then. They have plenty of shade and will only get the morning sun, so should be ok. I guess we'll have the heat lamp handy and if they need it periodically, we'll have it....but no plans in advance to use it.

That sound more than adequate to me. I use to live in your area, so I know depending which side of the mahtowa hill you are makes a huge difference on the summer heat. I now live way the other side of the hill and my summers get real warm here.

I plan to place straw/hay bales on the ground outside the north and west side of my coop. I am using wood chips as bedding. BUT will add straw if that is not adequate. My coop sits in the sun and I put dark green rolled roofing on it to absorb as much heat as possible. I am more worried about eggs freezing than the birds.

Well howdy neighbor! :) We used the rolled green roofing too!!!! It's still in construction phase.... Hubby is nailing up the hardware cloth
over the eave vent that runs around it.

I wish we had global warming here:). It's been the coldest summer and past winter since 1978 and the farmers almanac is forecasting a worse winter for us then last year. Stay warm folk in my region:)

Hahaha! Yes, as a matter of fact I do have two sisters but I am not sure either one would want chickens!!! We just wanted the chickens close for watering etc in the winter. Their coop is on the way to the barn...and when my husband snowblows the drive, he can probably get in easily to do a little path for them too....or at least shoveling will be convenient.
We had a cool summer here too....it was heavenly! My horses have never had such a great summer. They hate the hot temps and bugs that come with it. I think our fall is going to be perfect.

I wish we had global warming here:). It's been the coldest summer and past winter since 1978 and the farmers almanac is forecasting a worse winter for us then last year. Stay warm folk in my region:)

I know what you mean we have had some od the worst winters I can remember in the last two years....( I guess the sarcasm did not come through in my post ..sorry)

Some thoughts:

Remember those of you that consider using heat--what is going to happen if the power goes out? If the chickens are used to the cold, nothing, but if they haven't adjusted there may be a problem.

Frozen eggs are always a big problem. Gotta try to keep them picked up, especially before dark.

As far as letting birds out during cold weather. I open the pop door, they stick their beaks out and decide to stay put. The big problem is snow--this causes a big debate and the blame for it is placed squarely on me.

When I know the weather is going to be really cold I feed a mixture of scratch grain and black-oil sunflower seed. Seems to give them a little more "fuel" to fight off the cold. Plus it makes up for my dumping all that white stuff in front of the door.

Back
Top Bottom